This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big posts should count as +1 in OT

Just finished another 1000+ characters post in the OT.
    And I suddenly wondered, if someone types more than 100 chars in a post it can hardly be concidered as spam anymore.

Unless it just says: BLABLABLA or something like that, but that's easily recognizable for the moderators.

Why not let, say, 100+ characters posts count in the OT?
    I'm sure that would leave us with more valuable discussions and threads, while spam would not pay off. (but people can still post their one word comments, whitout running the risk to get a spam PCR)

Pherhaps it can even count for all the forums: only 50+ /100+ posts count as a +1.

Another feature might be: post in people's profiles the avg number of chars of their postings.
    I'm "only" a king, but sometimes I wonder if I haven't typed more letters on poly than the avg deity?

This post can be an example
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

I like it! Its a great idea! It should go into effect immeadietly!

Comment

It's not the size of the posts that makes OT posts not count, it's the fact they are OT. If they are a million words this is still the case, and thus the chances of the owners changing their opinion on this issue, which has been stated many times, is essentially zero.

Comment

Then we can still have the 'avg chars inpost' feature.

But I thought that the OT +0 decision was made bc of the huge amount of spam in the OT.

Comment

First... it will never happen

But let's say that it did... All you would have to do is cut and paste some meaningless story... or just use the quote feature... I can see it now... you post a 100 to 500 word meaningful and insightful post (unlike the one that started this thread ) and the next poster hits the reply with quote figure and adds a simple thumbs up icon...

This would lead to even more spam in the OT... and would make it almost impossible to make it through a thread where most of the posts were over 100 characters
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's easy with javascript to not count the quoted characters. I can make such a script.

And of course it's always good to have the rule that one shouldn't quote for no reason. AND PCR for useless quotes

Comment

We have enough work as it is... patrolling for illegal use of quotes is a little too much to ask
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

But then you could recruit more moderators...
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                  But then you could recruit more moderators...
                  Just what we need... to have to find somebody stupid enough to except the job, but also somebody that doesn't want it. The best mods are the people that don't ask to be mods
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

I don't like this. It's not like the size of a post is a good indication of spamhood anyway.
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      We have enough work as it is... patrolling for illegal use of quotes is a little too much to ask
                      there's no need to patrol for that.
                      Any post you see with a big quote in it is toast.

Besides that, you ignore what I said about with javascript removing the quotes from the character-count.

Comment

What exactly, beyond gettin' me a custom avatar sooner, would be the point in having some OTF posts count for postcount?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

What is the point of postcount anyway?
                          But for me it would be the feeling that all the typing I did won't go unnoticed, and will at least be rewarded with a postcount point

It gives you the feeling that your staying on poly makes sence. Which does profit poly, since that feeling made me become an inmate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                            Just what we need... to have to find somebody stupid enough to except the job, but also somebody that doesn't want it. The best mods are the people that don't ask to be mods
                            My point exactly.
                            And the answer is no.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                              What is the point of postcount anyway?
                              A measure of how active a poster is?
                              But for me it would be the feeling that all the typing I did won't go unnoticed, and will at least be rewarded with a postcount point

It gives you the feeling that your staying on poly makes sence. Which does profit poly, since that feeling made me become an inmate.
                              I'd actually rather like if OTF posts counted - discluding those, but not the equally non-civ-related ones here seems arbitrary - but discriminating based on character count seems downright weird to me. Count all the spam or none of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X