Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw compare the starting dates and post counts of the last two samples it is not hard to see which is the worse case. The content is of course a much more important factor, which in our case do not change anything in my opinion.
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Wow... Jamski being anti-spam and Ming being fairly laid back concerning the subject.

Who swapped their bodies?
      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Whilst being a notorious Heavy poster and at times i agree i spam with the best of them most of my posts are also made in the gaming sections whether it be civ3, civ2 or other games...

i come to poly to pass time and enjoy the little things that go on here, I never respond to everyones calls ofme being a spammer cause i know what i am, the only one to rile me was jamski as honghu pointed out he and spikey were big contributers to the Drinknig Threads. Now they seem to have settled down and got back to just posting in the funareas and making light entertainment for all.

I started these lists as a few people were approaching deity and it seemed interesting to make a spreadsheet to see how they were getting there, I for one then became more and more involved in the lists and found i had to keep expanding them to show posting patterns of people.

I totally agree that mays lists threads were overly posted at , the first few months were much better controlled.

I know the mods do read and check them and if or when they ever get totaly out of hand i usually ask that they are closed to stop it. last month i forgot to get it closed. my apologies for that.

The poll here is for the very purpose of seeing how the feelings of apolyton posters is to the lsits. If Ming or Rah said hey this is spam i would stop.

I usually push the barriers sometimes till i am warned and i know in the past i have received PCR for spamming.. Thats all good.

I hope the lists are appreciated and continue , and i am sure they will providing people use common sense and i guess ultimately if the mods think it too much they will PCR/Ban the culprits or clsoe the thread.
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
          the only one to rile me was jamski as honghu pointed out he and spikey were big contributers to the Drinknig Threads.
          I don't recall ever posting there. They were much too shameless for me.

Comment

and as i busy with work and a little bit of a social life i wont be posting as much as i used to. please forgive my abscence....
            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Now and again I think of something funny relating to what I've just read and feel the need to share with 'polytubbies also reading that thread. This will often amount to little more than a one-liner, but if I deem it worthy of posting then I'll make the post, regardless of whether others might consider it spam or not.
              I totally agree that there is no need for single smiley posts. If you can't express yourself in language then why bother? The smilies are meant to add a little colour to the posts, to get across a tone of voice that does not come across when you're just posting messages to an internet forum. You know you're joking when you make the post, but it's far more sensible to include a smiley so that they don't get offended by it.

You're all spammers, everyone's a spammer.

See?

The most spammy posts I've made have been in Hangman, with many of but a single letter. This is vital to the game (it'd be pretty dumb if you had to explain why you'd chosen each letter when you guessed), and can't be avoided, so maybe it would be better if Hangman was rehomed to the OT. However, the game would drop like a stone there, and rah approved the rules so that no-one can post too often in the thread. It seems to be running fine so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

I didn't get my post count because I wanted to get a large post count. It just happened. This is what happens if you are involved in democracy games for a long while, PBEMs, running forum games, SMAC strategy discussions, BG help etc etc etc.

There. My piece is said. Thankyou for your time, and don't point the Finger of Spam my way. You know who you are.

-Jam
                /me arches an eyebrow.

Riiight. I know DGs, and this is unheard of. And I'm in 6 of the things. Eight if you count my inactive ones.

/me unequivocally points
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

You know, personally, I hate to say this but I'm on the side of the people who were absolutely disgusted by the May Threads.

People talking about how they are going to 'spam' to get to deity is just disgusting. It gives posters like myself, who are obsessed with post counts but attempt to achieve them legitimately and who find people posting +1 and just spewing trash annoying, a bad reputation. Inane conversation revolving merely around 'well, I need to spam more' serves no purpose and really should achieve a 10% PCR reduction if not more. It wastes bandwith and people's time to read.

I find the lists interesting and intriguing and study them as best I can. What I don't find interesting and intriguing is how posters devalue the threads by posting trash in them.

In the old days, threads such as Provost Harrison's guild of emperor's listing all the emperors and my own Apolyton Army listing PPD were looked down upon by the moderators and very nearly found themselves shut as 'club threads' and as encouraging 'spam'. Nowadays, people talk about post count all the time- and while that is good- their talk isn't about where they are posting... or how long until they get to a level (which is legitimate discussion) but no, instead it is 'I need to post more just to achieve a level"... and even that's all right- but the same **@# idiot posts the same #*#% thing every three posts. THAT serves no purpose. And is just redundant.

Well, that's just my two cents.

PS: Please keep doing the lists Rasputin, I love them
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                    PS: Please keep doing the lists Rasputin, I love them
                    No surprise coming from a list addict like you.

And DC... these threads serve a great purpose... it points out to the mods who the big spammers are, and gives me a target list of people to pay closer attention to
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

All the more challenge to get away with things then.
                      Ahem. Yes, pay attention to that Rasputin fellow. Nasty chap, that one.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I say Ming is getting a little soft now. Almost unlike Ming sometimes. For the list to be continuing to come without causing many complaints, I say the mods need to apply iron fists a little more frequently.

You are still the greatest, though. And whatever you do, is always the most correct. What I just mumbled, is just my humble opinion, which you don't really need to pay much attention, if you don't want to.
                        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I think that people who enjoy spamming the lists should be free to do so if they truely enjoy it, and that those who dont like the lists should (shock!) not go into the thread
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

You know, personally, I hate to say this but I'm on the side of the people who were absolutely disgusted by the May Threads.
                            I find it atrocious that people can abuse a system, which is designed not to show who can make the most inane comments as opposed to who has made pertinent comments, to inflate their own egos.

Apropos of the subordinate clause in the above statement, it is all good and well when there is the occassional funny post, but discussing how to spam, and how to get around the moderators is something I thought I left behind in primary school.

Now, I'm not the most active poster, but such flagrant abuse of a system undermines the entire point, and makes me slide slightly more toward scrapping titles all together.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the lists, as they are informative. Lists sans "how to spam" comments are what I would like to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalius

I find it atrocious that people can abuse a system, which is designed not to show who can make the most inane comments
                              Actually, to be truthful, the system is designd to show who can make the most inane comments. There isnt an "average post length" counter or anysuch, only a post counter.
                              Obviously, those who post more posts have a higher postcount.
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

If you look back at what forums started out as, they were discussion forums regarding a specific topic, and if you said a lot about the topic, you got a +1s for it.

Unfortunately, it is obvious that there are some who think that abusing the system makes them better, which, in my opinion, is not accurate to the point at all.

Makes you wonder what happened to a crackdown on spam.

On the other hand, I find a lot of Jamski's posts with regard to spam are not far from the truth at all, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X