Great plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great plan

Bombard users with popups, spam and spyware and then make them to pay to get rid of it. Brilliant.

I havent been here at poly for awhile, just checked in to see how it was going. Sad to see what it's become. Bye then.
    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

popups ok(i disagree on the word "bombard") but

spam?

spyware?!?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      popups ok(i disagree on the word "bombard")
      just looked at our numbers. our daily popups/unique visitors ratio is at around 0.7.....

if that's called bombarding.....
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Bye Drake!
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Well, MarkG is in the artillery so he should know a thing or two about bombardment.

Comment

Has the level of popups gone down since the subscription started? It was getting pretty annoying for me also I admit. Still, subscribe and all your ills will fade away.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
              Well, MarkG is in the artillery so he should know a thing or two about bombardment.
              The Greek military has discovered artillery?
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Poly isn't bad with popups.

Spyware? The main Apolyton.net site actually has a browser parasite detector!

Poly
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So now we see what it means to be from Maine.

Seeya.

Monk
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

The spam is self-generated.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

A couple times, a popup window jumps up and it asks me if I want to download 'Gator'.

Also, a couple times when I've ran Spybot S&D, it's brought up the 'Gator' stuff as well....despite me only visiting Apolyton. You might want to keep an eye on the popup ads. Could they be trying to install spyware?
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                        A couple times, a popup window jumps up and it asks me if I want to download 'Gator'.

Also, a couple times when I've ran Spybot S&D, it's brought up the 'Gator' stuff as well....despite me only visiting Apolyton. You might want to keep an eye on the popup ads. Could they be trying to install spyware?
                        Frankychan:

While the pop-up may very well have been delivered to you by a third party contracted with one of the advertising agencies Apolyton is affiliated with, it is not enough information for us to verify and investigate further. Do you recall what ad if any otherwise appeared and/or if any advertising link was present in an ad space? The next time this happens please take a screenshot before you respond to the pop-up and make note of the link it points to if any.

As for the SpyBot check, even if you are only visiting this site at the present and in recent times you could have been infected or are being reinfected by another site, email or process. I would be especially weary of this if the program detects Gator even after you deny a request for its installation just prior to the check that identifies components of it on your computer.

---------
                        Dan; Apolyton CS

P.S. If you do not yet run Ad-Adaware in conjunction with SB I highly recommend doing so whenever you feel the need to do so, whatever the circumstance.
                        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Ok,

I don't remember which ad it was when I got the Gator pop-ups, but I'll be sure to take a screenie of it.

As for the Spybot issue, I clear out my history, internet files, and cookies every so often, and it's THEN that I got the Gator 'goodie'.

But I'll do what you said and try running Ad-Aware together w/Spybot S&D.

Thanks for your help, DanQ
                          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                          *****Citizen of the Hive****
                          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

don't let the door hit your ___ on the way out.

I don't get any popups or spam. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I'm getting the damn Smiley Channel or whatever popup everytime I open a new poly page.
                              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
                              X