X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any plans to update to vB3?

Well? (just curious)
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

no, not for awhile at least.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Do it, and then watch all the Poly Plus subscribers lose their subscription but miraculously not their credit card bills.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Any plans to update to vB3?

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        Well? (just curious)
        Although the official version of Apolyton's copy of vBulletin is 2.0.3, it is anything but a manila installation of it. Upgrades of this nature often cause custom installed features to and linked to/from to either function improperly or stop functioning altogether. This has been learned from negative experiences in the past.

Accordingly, an incredible amount of planning and overhead has to go into planning such "official" upgrades. As such they are few and far between. In lieu of this, we constantly entertain suggestions for and seek out modifications to our present version of vB to improve its operation and appearance be it on the basis of what is included in later releases or not.

---------
        Dan; Apolyton CS
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Re: Re: Any plans to update to vB3?

Originally posted by DanQ

stuff
          ---------
          Dan; Apolyton CS
          Translation: no.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

A 'Manilla' installation of it? Wouldn't that only occur in the Phillippines? I thought the term was vanilla
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It's a warez version
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Really? And we're not even allowed to mention u*d*r*o*s. How ironic.

Comment

The manila plant is a banana-like plant, so it makes sense that Poly is uses manila and not vanilla.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

He means that the CDs came in a large brown envelope

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Good to hear that ACS isn't planning any such upgrade, as I'm at least pretty sure it would 1. take ages for Markos and Gramphos to have all stuff needed by ACS scripted, tested and ported, 2. result in loss of data or some other functionality (especially porting the attachments would be a pain in the behind), 3. not give anything new, which would be vital for the services of ACS. In conclusion, as Dan already pointed out, the vB setup we see here, is very, very tailored to the needs of this site. An upgrade couldn't anyway be done here for ages, as it would all have to be done securely on a testbed, while the site would resume normal operations. Of course it could be done on the run, but it would end up in a total disaster. Either way, I'm sure we won't be seeing vB3 here for a long, long time. And I'm pretty sure the current system works just fine.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

What would be the advantages of upgrading to vB3?

Comment

none, it would probably look uglier.

I admit, I am getting used to the last upgrade. It took a while to deal with all that extra clutter.

Comment

Diss, there are plenty of advantages. Just a bunch of fun new hacks... like when you hover over the thread title, the first 3 or so lines come up in a cursor box, so you can see whether you want to click on it or not. A more indepth Search function. In polls you can click on an option (after you've voted) to see who voted for what.

And it looks better. I've been agitating for the upgrade.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

But then most of the custom hacks would no longer work.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X