No announcement yet.

Any plans to update to vB3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three seperate comments all rolled into one post.

Wouldn't many of the hacks customisations be able to be emulated with the new board, many being naturally incorporated features anyway.

It would take time and effort to implement all changes tough - probably just in time for vB4 though.

It doesn't bother me either way at the moment.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I actually like vB3. Is it worth it? Well, I can't say for sure from an Admin point of view, since like DanQ said, there are a lot of customized stuffed Markos created in this forum that would give a lot of a headache to implement.
      From a user point of view I have to really appeal for a change, enough with the vB2 outlook, it's boring already!
      "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
      Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
      Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
      Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

I'd rather stick with this and not have any downtime though.

Comment

While some features of VB3 are "nifty", so are many of the hacks already installed that would be lost or we would be without for a while, but at least this way we get to use those features, as Spikie said, without any downtime.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Just a bunch of fun new hacks...

They're not hacks (read: user made code modifications for the vBulletin forum script software). They're actual features, which are a part of the product by default.

like when you hover over the thread title, the first 3 or so lines come up in a cursor box, so you can see whether you want to click on it or not.

One of the most useless features ever. Especially when it brings up very little of the actual first post and doesn't really that much say, if the thread is worthy, because there might be some good follow ups.

A more indepth Search function.

Actually it's as good as the one we can use here. Okay, we don't have Similar Threads, but that can always be intercorporated into vB2 as well. But not worth it.

In polls you can click on an option (after you've voted) to see who voted for what.

Not a default feature in all polls. Only possible, if the starter of the poll has ticked the option for showing who voted and for which alternative. Also, I'm sure this can easily be done here too, if wanted. Just some little scripting needed.

Your case for an upgrade is based only on a few small features. I would more like point out the better attachment system, IM support implementation, profile pictures, 3 different thread display modes, language and phrase system, built-in support for local DST, etc. However I think Poly is doing fine with the current vB 2.0.3 derivated setup. It would be pointless to waste all the time for an upgrade. Especially when it would mean that things would have to be worked out from scratched.

I think it's much better to concentrate on the current system, make it more stable and to keep developing it. IMO Zealot and Imran have a weak case for having an upgrade. However I do understand that vB3 might have features they like, but as said (see my previous post), it would be a nightmare.

No, thanks. The current way is fine by me. And I presume most agree with me.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

and I don't want to take a chance with anything that might wipe out my post count

Comment

I'm all for progress and so if there were a way to upgrade somewhat painlessly I'd be all for it.

Actually, this probably stems from my OCD which makes me obsess about having everything on my computer updated and organized well.

Comment

What's wrong with our current system? We just finished fixing all the bugs and adding all the nice features. To imagine going through a bunch of chaostic changes and problems again. You guys just couldn't sit still for a minute can you.

CGN upgraded to vb3 I think. And I still can't get used to it. It's just not the same any more.
                  Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

CGN has been updated a bit since teh original upgrade. If you go to your control panel and set style to "old CGN default" its practically teh same layout as vb2.xx, but with a slightly smoother feel.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Ahh thank you BC.
                      Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

quote:
                        like when you hover over the thread title, the first 3 or so lines come up in a cursor box, so you can see whether you want to click on it or not.

One of the most useless features ever. Especially when it brings up very little of the actual first post and doesn't really that much say, if the thread is worthy, because there might be some good follow ups.

Saw it yesterday, bloody annoying IMO.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                          Good to hear that ACS isn't planning any such upgrade, as I'm at least pretty sure it would 1. take ages for Markos and Gramphos to have all stuff needed by ACS scripted, tested and ported, 2. result in loss of data or some other functionality (especially porting the attachments would be a pain in the behind), 3. not give anything new, which would be vital for the services of ACS. In conclusion, as Dan already pointed out, the vB setup we see here, is very, very tailored to the needs of this site. An upgrade couldn't anyway be done here for ages, as it would all have to be done securely on a testbed, while the site would resume normal operations. Of course it could be done on the run, but it would end up in a total disaster. Either way, I'm sure we won't be seeing vB3 here for a long, long time. And I'm pretty sure the current system works just fine.
                          This swayed me. I want an upgrade!
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I never realised that a computer gaming site could consist of such a bunch of Luddites
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

A bunch of strategists who want benefits for their (site-owners) efforts rather than just blindly jumping to whatever is newer? Gee, who'd have though?
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

no.

we've got plenty of stuff in our coding to-do list, more important than a layout update or profile pictures
                                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                                X