search minimum word length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• search minimum word length

Did you know you cant search the archives for a word less than four letters? Seems like a silly rule. Why is there a minimum word length rather than a list of disqualified words?

I know I wanted to find a thread that used 'the' in the title, but I couldn;'t find it. I guess that information is lost to me forever.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
      I know I wanted to find a thread that used 'the' in the title, but I couldn;'t find it. I guess that information is lost to me forever.
      Thats too bad. Well imagine how much worse it is for those of us who have more 3-letter words in our vocabulary than just the word 'the'.

Comment

I can't imagine. Please describe it to me.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

yes, it bothers me too. once i was looking for a thread that i knew had "civ" in the title, but... well, you could always use... masks (is this the word?). like in "civ*"
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Well, the reason is that search index would become a lot larger if shorter words should be included too.

For each searchable post there is a list of words 4 vharacters or longer that is in that post, and it would be a lot larger if 3 letter words were included.

However, I would really like to have the ability to search for a beginning of a threadtitle, as a complete string, and not just as words, but I guess having a 10 character MySQL index for the threadtitles would be too mush for the database.
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

For thread title search though, they ought to allow 3 letters or lower.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I think acronyms of 3 letters or less should be allowed, not normal words though.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  I think acronyms of 3 letters or less should be allowed, not normal words though.
                  Unfortunately, Urban Ranger, by limitation of the software that runs Apolyton's forums (vBulletin), the distinction you have drawn attention cannot be technically recognized -- at least, not in any straightforward and reliable fashion. Other restrictions/exceptions, e.g. a "disqualified words" list as bfg9000 has suggested, are for certain non-implementable.

This is one of the primary reasons for maintaining the four-character search term minimum.

-----------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS
                  PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                  >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

yes I have had problem with searches before. Especially with acronyms.

Things like NFL gave me trouble.

Comment

The problem is that most of the popular acronyms are three letters, and hence can't be searched for.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Acronyms should be longer.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You mean upgrade all our TLA's into FLA's?
                          That could take quite a lot of gold.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Nah, we'll just pop-rush it.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

The issue is very frustrating I agree, but if it can't be simply addressed I guess that's it.

How (if at all) is this addressed on other forums?

Comment

Working...
                              X