No announcement yet.

search minimum word length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, if you wanted to "tag" a thread for future reference, you could spell out the acronym (National Football League instead of NFL) at least once in the thread -- that would give search something to latch on to.

Of course, that dosen't help already buried threads.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

often that is what I do. I try to think of a word that is most likely in that thread. For NFL I search football.

For something like CIA I could search intelligence or something similar. You figure that word will show up once in the thread.

Comment

The problem is with wide-spread acronyms that everyone already knows the meaning of. ICS for example. People in the civ2 forum can talk about this and not mention infinite city sprawl once, for example.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Or slease, for that matter.

Monk
          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

all gaming forums suffer from that. Some of the hardcore RPG forums I goto, I can't understand a single acronym. And people abbreviate even small words. It can get real annoying.

I don't use acronyms that often except for well known ones (as the one I used above)

Comment

Lots of acronyms are good........they keep the riffraff away.

Comment

Acronyms allow you to convey more complex ideas quickly provided that everyone knows the acronym in question in the first place. Most people will quickly learn the acronyms related to the games they talk about.

It does take effort on a newbies behalf before they become a full member of such a forum, but that is how it should be.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                X