Why was I unable to post yesterday??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was I unable to post yesterday??

This wasn't just a busy server. All this is IIRC...

After my first post yesterday (25 Nov, about 7:30am US Central), I was unable to use "post reply" or "quick reply." Neither function appeared on my screen. Similarly, when I tried "my threads" (or any search-related function), I got the "You are not authorized or not logged in" page, though the server did know I was online as -Jrabbit.

I was able to access my control panel, but only from the site's homepage. Once there, I could not make changes -- again, "not authorized or not logged in."

Today, everything is back to normal.

So what was that all about??
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

You were banned 24 hours for violation of "Apolyton: File Upload" rule, not uploading files related to the games site covers.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

You couldn't post yesterday because you were restricted

But it had nothing to do with any of your actions in the forums... It was for a different reason...

Reason: Violation of "Apolyton: File Upload" rule, not uploading files related to the games site covers

You were one of many who couldn't post yesterday.

Username: self biased
      Username: Verto
      Username: GerarDream
      Username: Boco
      Username: GhengisFarb
      Username: The Viceroy
      Username: fooart
      Username: HongHu
      Username: kopi8
      Username: -Jrabbit
      Username: reismark
      Username: Buck Birdseed
      Username: Datajack Franit
      Username: Verres
      Username: cosmocop
      Username: Valde
      Username: El Awrence

The owners will routinely check the up load files to insure that people are following the rules. You may only upload things that relate to games covered by Apolyton. They aren't meant for personal or non game files.

Most people were restricted for only 24 hours... a few got nailed for longer. Consider it a "simple" way to remind people about the rules... it does get people's attention
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
        The owners will routinely check the up load files [...]
        upload is one word.

Oh, and I broke you to it

Comment

Yep... I typo.
          And you beat me to it only because you posted a simple message. I wanted to provide more details so that others with the same question would know why they couldn't post yesterday
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Well, I don't think I have the autority to post the names of people being banned from the ban log. But if someone asks I can tell him that he was You on the other hand can post the more info stuff

Comment

The lesson is, never upload.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                Well, I don't think I have the autority to post the names of people being banned from the ban log. But if someone asks I can tell him that he was You on the other hand can post the more info stuff
                In most cases, I wouldn't post such a list.

However, I've received PM's from many people, on this subject, so I felt a list would save some additional PM's

It also serves as a reminder that the owners are serious about this rule.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Upload needs to be removed.

Sorry, Markos, this feature didn't pan out. Please remove it, delete all the files on it, and not serve out any more of these short-notice bans.

Let people find their own hosting, but this isn't worth it. It's extra server space used up, and the current method of "abuse" (the details are sketchy) punishment (extermination) is a sharp downturn from Apolyton's usual goodnaturedness.

End the horror, the entire online community (okay, maybe I exaggerated a little) begs you to.

-Mrmitchell
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                    The lesson is, never upload.

No... the lesson is to follow the rules. Just upload things that are Apolyon Covered Game related. The owners are providing a service for those that need it. Just don't abuse it
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Upload is absolutely vital for the private forums because there can be no attachments there. However, if we are allowed attachments in private forums I would be fine with no uploads.
                      Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
                      King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
                      ---------
                      May God Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                        End the horror, the entire online community (okay, maybe I exaggerated a little) begs you to.
                        And I beg you to stop speaking in my name.

I find the upload feature very handy as I don't have free hosting space. Since the last time I checked we are unable to attach files in private fora, uploading is the only way to show a picture or other file in the ACDTG Consciousness private forum. Your argument that it uses extra server space is false too, at least in my case. If I attach something, I almost always leave that attachment there for the rest of eternity, even after no one checks the thread anymore. However my uploaded files I clean regularly, so server space is freed that way.
                        Last edited by Maniac; November 26, 2003, 11:37.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Well in that case all we need to do is find out what the banned had in their Uploads at the time they were given the 24hr boot.

Cmon, Ming, give us a hint. Was it mp3s, warez, etc? Or was it just "non-civ related material"? How strict is "non-civ related material", anyways?
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I wanted to personally thank the administration for their lack of tact and lack of good form, ignoring the email I sent Ming especially, thinking I had fallen subject to a bug, and not being informed by any member of the administration why I was banned, I had to find out through third parties.

Thank you, once again.

Comment

Originally posted by El Awrence

I wanted to personally thank the administration for their lack of tact and lack of good form, ignoring the email I sent Ming especially, thinking I had fallen subject to a bug, and not being informed by any member of the administration why I was banned, I had to find out through third parties.

Thank you, once again.
                              I guess it's in the FAQ, buddy. Don't you know it by heart?

Carolus

Comment

Working...
                              X