Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware?!

Everyone:

It's my understanding that Apolyton has a "service" of sorts that, if you're on the site's front page, will scan a PC for any spyware and, if found, alert the user about it.

Here's my question: Does this service function anywhere else except on 'Poly's front page? I'm curious because I had a strange pop-up ad appear while I was surfing the forums, claiming that the owners of the site (Apolyton) had a service that detected spyware on my *Macintosh,* but then the link took me to a PC-only site that was selling spyware-removal software (albeit it did have a free trial version).

I've talked to some other Mac folks and they're not aware of any spyware that targets Macs. Most of such software is aimed at the PC crowd (for obvious reasons ... a lot more PCs than Macs out there).

Anyway, I did end up deleting some cookies, clearing my browser cache and so on.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Only on the Poly front-page. What you clicked on was most likely an advertisement.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I get another similar ad about protecting your PC now. It says things that aren't strictly true. It's annoying, but I guess it's easy to prey on the worries of computer users.

Comment

Being a minority and behind a firewall, I have much less to worry about. Besides, I have better ways to waste my time.
        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
        XGalaga.

Comment

An advertisement ... I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it sure as hell made itself look like it was sanctioned by 'Poly.

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

I'm not really surprised. Ad makers are evil. They do not care what happens when you see their ad, so long as you see it and buy their product. They do not care if the product is good, so long as it is bought. Ads have caused me to stop watching tv and listening to the radio. When the internet reaches that level of pollution, I shall stop using it too.
            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
            XGalaga.

Comment

Go to the front page or download adware
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oerdin...
                adware = spyware.

Gatekeeper is on a Mac...

/me doesn't know any anti-spyware mac-products

Comment

Buy a PC, then downloa...

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I did go to the front page and nothing popped up. How I wish I could remember the name of that offending advertiser ... I'd call up some of my colleagues in their area and check into the company's criminal history and see if maybe a nasty investigative story could be done on 'em.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Yeah...goto www.lavasoft.de (they have other sites, but that's the one that I can remember) and download ad-aware. That will take care of spyware for you. And contrary to some people's believes, Lavasoft do update their reference file regularly.

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

You can also use Spybot Search and Destroy.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy
                          Oerdin...
                          adware = spyware.

Gatekeeper is on a Mac...

* Frozzy doesn't know any anti-spyware mac-products
                          I believe the two main programs to remove spyware from your machine are called Spybot and Adware.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That aggravating "You have spyware on your PC!" ad popped up again. I don't know if it will help Dan or Markos out, but I went in and viewed the source, and this is what I got:

It looks like there's some Web addresses in there, so maybe interested folks can check it out.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Working...
                            X