What is happening to Poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skanky Burns
    That sounds like a good description of Freenet.
    To put it bluntly, this solution would mean that the forums would be very slow. As the forums aren't static, each person would also need to have a copy of the database where all posts are stored and continuously synchronise with everyone else when each new post is made.

Nice idea, but unworkable.
    Not necessarily. In my example the only ones storing the complete database would be the central/core ACS server in USA and possibly the mods or some freak who has subscribed to all the threads ever made. The only thing people would be swapping would be the new replies on the threads they have subscribed to.

Say ACS-server is offline and I want to reply to some thread I would have subscribed to. When I'd send my reply I'd basicly send a reply to all the people who have subscribed to that thread. The file sent would be tiny, little maybe just over 10 kb. I dont think it would make the forums too slow.

The only thing that would be constantly synchronised would be the logs of the threads one has subscribed to.
    Also you would see a list of all the threads in the forums and would be able to select them if you wish and download the "core" of the thread and then it would start to be refreshed or sychronised in every 10 seconds for example. By sychronising I meant that it would only check if theres any new replies. There could be a limit in the amount of threads one could subscribe to. Just to keep the data flow reasonably low from each computer.

What is Freenet?
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by panag
      hi ,

, laurentius , what about the server and its software , ... there it seems are most of the problems for now , ....
      The server is fine as it is I think, but the software would have to be somewhat modified. I keep getting the "Server is busy right now" message and I suppose it would help a little if we could share the servers work a little. I believe clusterize is the trendy word for this

- Paul Valery

Comment

• I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• Ok, Thanks for the link Skanky. Frankly, Freenet appeared to be only slightly similar to my proposal. I accept the fact that P2P-apolyton would not be as quick as it is now , but I believe the loading times, pings, lags etc would be within reasonable limits.

Have you tried Freenet Skanky? Why is it slow? Are the files big n chunky or what?

- Paul Valery

Comment

• I mean I dont mean to built internet within internet or anything here...just the forum

- Paul Valery

Comment

• And I really thought it was a nice and original idea...

- Paul Valery

Comment

• I like your way of thinking
                Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Thanks

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by laurentius

The server is fine as it is I think, but the software would have to be somewhat modified. I keep getting the "Server is busy right now" message and I suppose it would help a little if we could share the servers work a little. I believe clusterize is the trendy word for this
                    hi ,

would this be due to the software alone , or an other problem like a bottleneck with its net connection , ......

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• I really dont know Panag. Maybe the admins could answer that? The idea is to ease the server from loading all the attached pictures etc that it has to do now everytime I push F5 it saves the bandwidth I reckon. Maybe critically.

have a nice day

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Mods. Close this thread.
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Go away whacko troll

Why would you want this thread to be closed? We have an intresting discussion going on to improve ACS
                          Last edited by laurentius; October 30, 2003, 03:39.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by laurentius
                            I really dont know Panag. Maybe the admins could answer that? The idea is to ease the server from loading all the attached pictures etc that it has to do now everytime I push F5 it saves the bandwidth I reckon. Maybe critically.

have a nice day

hi ,

well moving a lot of things to the archives seems to be a positive move , ......

as for the pics , , maybe a second server in europe or so , ...... that would easy up on loads of things , but can it be done , is it worth it , ....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Originally posted by skywalker
                              I agree we should be able to make donations to 'Poly.
                              If it makes you feel better, you can make a donation to me..

Comment

Working...
                              X