Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob_S
    I'm confused.
    Siro is banned for 24 for something he didn't know he shouldn't have done and takes exception to it.
    Ming justifies the ban to the point where it looks like he's about to have a stroke.
    Other people get banned for 24 and are not even aware of it.
    Do the rules change day-by-day?
    Good Heavens!
    Welcome to Apolyton
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Well better to express opinions than just shamelessly +1 Mr 4ever.
      you tell him Doc.
      The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by HongHu
        BTW, I confess that I never look at somebody's signature if they are three long lines or more.
        Then you haven't checked out the maps and scenario in my signature yet?

(shameless advertizing)
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I still haven't checked them out.
          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
            You are the one that raised it as you tried to be overly dramatic... so what, you can dish it out and not take it back...
            No, it's just that it's not related or funny

Yep... just like you have to keep current on the rules in your own country. You agreed to follow the rules when you became a member.

True.

I also expected to be treated like a civilized person.

Your point?

My point is that there were plenty of other more civilized ways of making people remove "illegal files" without resorting to 'shoot first ask questions later'.

Excuse me for not being at your beck and call... I do have a life. As people know, I try my best to get back to people asap... but sometimes that's not possible.

I'm not criticizing you. I'm explaining the reasons that lead me to have this thread.

Yeah... they were probably too busy providing you and everybody else this great site that you can post on for free...

They were apparently busy going through the upload database and banning people.

YOU broke the rules... and you got a slap on the wrist. You NOW know the rule you should have looked up in the first place...

You're the one being overly defensive and dramatic. "Evil Siro broke the rules and should be punished". Come on.

You seem more interested in passing the blame instead of just admitting that you were actually in the wrong...

WHICH YOU WERE.

I never denied that I have hosted a file on Apolyton's upload feature, which was against the rules.

But having said that, mitigating circumstances such as unclear rules when I put this file, and the long time that has passed since that has caused me to forget it's existance, plus general rules of courtesy and civiliy, suggest that a warning or a public announcement would solve this situation in a better manner.

Just because the owners of the site can ban whomever they want to, doesn't mean they should or that it is civil.

It happenned that I was in a store and began exiting having forgot to pay. The owners had every right to call the cops and arrest me. Instead they have said "hey kid, you forgot to pay". I said sorry and paid them.

Now do you think they would have been right to call the police on me?

Comment

Why are you trying to make such a big deal about this... you broke the rules, and got a slap on the wrist...
              You make it sound like you got the death penality for it.
              The one day punishment fits your minor crime.

Again... take responsibilities for you own action. Don't try to make other people look like the bad guy...

You seem to be the one not acting civilized... Throwing around all your little insults and cheap shots at them.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

24 hours? Sheesh, that's just a b#tch slap.

Just think of all those Palestinians who don't have a country of their own and you should feel better.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Yes... there are SOOOOOOOO many more important things then his "EARNED" little 24 hour restriction for a minor rules infraction.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                    24 hours? Sheesh, that's just a b#tch slap.

Just think of all those Palestinians who don't have a country of their own and you should feel better.
                    hi ,

*duh*

they have a country , .....

and what the heck does that have to do with this , ....

why does uber have to post what he posted , ....

that hurts on this side of the MED , .....

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

(1) Sirotnikov and 10(9?) others were banned.
                      (2) They probably should have been notified why.
                      (3) The rules changes to Uploading should be more publicised.
                      (4) The rules to Uploading should be fixed and specificated to begin with.
                      (5) However, Markos & Dan have the right to make whutever changes to the site that they want and not notify.
                      (6) Though it probably would have been better and easier for all involved to publicise a little, notify the banned, etc.
                      (7) Case closed, before the thread devolves any more than it already has.

EDIT: By "Markos & Dan" I mean the general administration of Apolyton, including them and many others.
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Jesus, Siro. Just shut up will you.

You got banned for a whole day from a strategy game forum. It's not the wreck of the Hesperus, is it? Come on, stop moaning to shamelessly increase your post count. What are the mods supposed to do? Give you your day back? Abase themselves before you? Petition the Almighty for forgiveness?

What are you going to get from this except pissing off the mods?

Who cares, it's over.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Ming, lookm I'm not complaining about the punishment. It was indeed a wrist slap.

Nor have I insulted anyone.

I simply think that this was a very impersonal and crude treatment.

Since niether Locutus, nor I nor many other people even suspected we were doing something wrong, I see no reason to actually enact a punishment.

I'm not making a big deal out of it. You are by trying to make me appear as if I'm starting a rebellion against Mark and Dan, who obviously love this site very much.

I'm again stating that a general warning or a reminder about the rules changing, would have saved the necessity of said punishments, which might as well be punishments for bad memory, or not checking up the FAQ enough.

Furthermore, even when I was 'punished' I recieved no official explanation until after the time, when I was making an active protest.

I don't intentionally break site rules, thus I was unaware of my status as banned, and couldn't figure out whether I was banned or something was perhaps wrong with my newly installed firewall-content-remover.

I was banned without a warning or an explanation, which is unusual by this site's standards, and that was for a 'crime' of forgetfulness - I forgot all about the file, after it's status became clearly illegal.

I haven't put blame on any one nor have I claimed that Dan and Mark (or Ming and Rah) don't love this site enough and don't do enough.

I am simply saying that I think this incedent was an example of crude treatment, that could easily have been avoided by either making a general warning, or a mass-pming or something. This, I'm sure is in no way 'harder' than the actual banning and deleting, and also would have saved these efforts, because the people in question would have no-doubt be alerted and removed the files themselves.
                          Last edited by Sirotnikov; July 5, 2003, 20:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                            I was banned without a warning or an explanation, which is unusual by this site's standards
                            Are you kidding?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

No, I'm not.

People are usually warned on threads (unless they clearly and blatantly flame) and as far as I could gather, they always have a PM waiting, or at least a post by the mod, explaining his reasons.

Comment

Give it up

Comment

Working...
                                X