X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

That's just what you tell your mum.
      And that's what your... and that's why.. err.. errmm.. I am rubber you are glue!
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

You know that bigandbouncy.com is just a site selling beach balls.

That's just what you tell your mum.

Nope, that's what his kids have told him, I'm surprised no one else checked it

And the rubber can come in handy, you can keep the glue though
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: Poly link to spam

Originally posted by SpencerH
          I've been getting a lot of spam lately linked to words that I've only used here at poly. Has anyone else noticed something similar?
          (Almost) anything posted on Apolyton, the forums for example, can be picked up by search engines using spidering software depending upon its level of sophistication. As such, it can also be gathered by spammers.

In my assessment at least, spamming is an unfortunate but 'real' part of being a netizen to one degree or another.

------------
          Dan; Apolyton CS
          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

netizen Dr. Spike can you enlighten me
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Citizen of the net= netizen

I had to read it twice too
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                netizen Dr. Spike can you enlighten me
                I could...........but it seems I'm too slow these days.

Comment

some of the spam emails that pop up can only be viewed after the kiddies are in bed.
                  The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Re: Re: Poly link to spam

Originally posted by DanQ

(Almost) anything posted on Apolyton, the forums for example, can be picked up by search engines using spidering software depending upon its level of sophistication. As such, it can also be gathered by spammers.

In my assessment at least, spamming is an unfortunate but 'real' part of being a netizen to one degree or another.

------------
                    Dan; Apolyton CS
                    I'm aware that this happens, but it became clear the other day that poly was targetted after starting a Hilary thread. Now I get about 2-3 spam emails a day to my home email address mentioning Hilary. It could have been a coincidence so I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it, whether this activity had increased at poly lately, and whether it contributed to the server slowdown.

Yes Panag, I'm up to date on security, use a good firewall, and dont have any spyware on my PC's.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Poly link to spam

I'm aware that this happens, but it became clear the other day that poly was targetted after starting a Hilary thread. Now I get about 2-3 spam emails a day to my home email address mentioning Hilary. It could have been a coincidence so I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it, whether this activity had increased at poly lately, and whether it contributed to the server slowdown.

Yes Panag, I'm up to date on security, use a good firewall, and dont have any spyware on my PC's.
                      hi ,

well install either a filter then or change email , ......

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                        Citizen of the net= netizen
                        Not quite right. Citizen is a composite of denizen and city. Therefore
                        denizen of the net= netizen
                        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                        XGalaga.

Comment

No it isn't:

citizen - c.1314, from Anglo-Fr. citezein (spelling alt. by infl. of denizen), from O.Fr. citeain, from cite (see city), replacing O.E. burhsittend and ceasterware. Sense of "inhabitant of a country" is 1380s.

denizen - 1419, from Anglo-Fr. deinzein, from deinz "within, inside," from L.L. deintus, from de- "from" + intus "within."

In other words, you're somewhat right, except that that influence happened centuries ago and has absolutely no bearing on how netizen came about.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Poly link to spam

Originally posted by panag

hi ,

well install either a filter then or change email , ......

have a nice day
                            I do so appreciate these well considered posts.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poly link to spam

He copies and pastes them from Panag's stock replies. (TM)

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poly link to spam

hi ,

do you need links and advice to them aswell , .....

have a nice day

panag watches his stock going up , .....
                                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                                X