No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Master Zen
    Off-site avatars ARE supported, check it one avatars are re-enables, problem is that since you are able to upload them, most people choose to upload rather than link.
    I know that you can link to an avatar that is currently off site. HOWEVER, like Uberkrux said earlier, without a hack to the forums software, vbulletin will save the image to the server the forums are running on and load it from there. Believe me, I've tested it.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay

I know that you can link to an avatar that is currently off site. HOWEVER, like Uberkrux said earlier, without a hack to the forums software, vbulletin will save the image to the server the forums are running on and load it from there. Believe me, I've tested it.
      ah that sucks then... oh well, I guess we'll have to wait
      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

MZ,

you say you have experience with vB? Then you would have known that. Meh.

To be precise, by standard all avatars are saved by vBulletin in the MySQL database, including all gallery avatars, uploaded custom avatars and custom avatars saved by the vB PHP script into the MySQL database. On ACS Forums the difference is that all avatars are saved as regular files via Apache, so they are not located in the database as usually. This reduces the number of time required to load pages and reduces the number of SQL queries. You could of course change the off-site avatars to be directly loaded from the entered location, however that would require some work by Markos or Dan, which doesn't seem to be possible now as both seem to be very occupied. Also using the tweak seen on vBulletin.org is ruled out as it's not compliant with the current system in which avatars are as files. However you could of course always change the policy so that only actual off-site avatars are allowed.

Ergo epso facto, like Loc said, avatars aren't the #1 priority. What is more important is to make the service stable first as there has been frequently very high load spikes and the QoS has dropped. Keepin all avatars disabled is maybe an equal solution for now. Ideas worth to concider are using a separate server for MySQL, mirror server and the various forms of financial support, which could result in a database or mirror server. Apolyton is after all already very large with ~35 000 users registered and many anonymous ones.

Personally, I would support allowing off-site avatars, because then I could point mine to a PHP script on my website and have it select a random avatar every time somebody views a page with my posts on it.

Ixy,

that would require enabling dynamic addresses for images, which is possibly opposed by the site ownership due to the fact it opens a backdoor.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Darn DP
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Personally, I could do without the little group icons. They can be a bit overwelming when you have over half a dozen of them.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, Rah, those are also a way to decrease the database load.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Can't disagree on that one, one or two are nice, but too much is too much

And if it helps, get rid of them (temporarely?).
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Also, if you do have to do some tinkering around to get avatars back, could you enable .pngs for avatars while you're at it?

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    Can't disagree on that one, one or two are nice, but too much is too much
                    They're getting as bad as medals on a generals uniform.
                    Just how meaningful are they? I don't even know what some of them stand for. At least Avatars add some personality, but I do understand and support why we're not using them for a period. They'll be back.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Asuka
                      MZ,

you say you have experience with vB? Then you would have known that. Meh.
                      I said brief experience. A couple of days of trying it out does not mean I know the whole system. The board I use for my site doesn't save images on the database so I assumed vB did the same.
                      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

ah, the site is so much faster now that Avatars are disabled!

Ban the avatars forever!

I feel so happy!
                        -->Visit CGN!
                        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen

The board I use for my site doesn't save images on the database so I assumed vB did the same.
                          Invision Power Boards and vBulletin are two different PHP scripts, so don't make too hasty assuptions. They're very different from each other.

Comment

I miss the Avatars, but since the have gone I have had no problem loading the pages...
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X