Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a suggestion for the Poly admins and mods related to the unfortunate suspension of avatars due to the server slowness...

In my brief experience with vBulletin I believe there is an option to disable uploading avatars as well as disabling the avatar gallery. But there is still another option that remains which is to link to a picture outside the board.

That means, for example, you can upload your avatar to somewhere else (say if you're registered in another forum you can use that pic) and link to it here. That would not cause any bandwidth problems as every time the page loads the bandwidth would be occupied by the other site and not Apolyton.

The only problem I see is that people may start uploading avatars to their upload accounts and linking them there... but after the recent "crackdown" on uploads, perhaps people will think twice

-MZ
    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

I don't know that it would do me any good but if it gave a shot to get my screaming baby avatar back up I'd go for it.

Comment

Sheesh, why are people making such a big deal out of the avatar thing? What would you rather have? Avatars, or actually being able to access the site?

We went 4 years without them so we can do with another a few days/weeks...
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

ZEN, even when you link them, the server downloads them, i've tested it.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I still have webspace from ISP provider I don't really use, so I could have a couple of avatars on there.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

we'd like both

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you are saying.

I have a website I can put my avatar on if that's what you mean.

This poses a qustion I was wondering about. does linking images to Apolyton using the image tag reduce bandwith and take up server space?

Comment

The only bandwidth it would consume would be to convert the img tags into html code so that it can be displayed. The actual picture itself wouldn't take up any bandwidth.

Personally, I would support allowing off-site avatars, because then I could point mine to a PHP script on my website and have it select a random avatar every time somebody views a page with my posts on it.

Comment

Well let's see what the next week or so holds for the avatars and general server reliability before considering drastic changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                  The only bandwidth it would consume would be to convert the img tags into html code so that it can be displayed. The actual picture itself wouldn't take up any bandwidth.

Personally, I would support allowing off-site avatars, because then I could point mine to a PHP script on my website and have it select a random avatar every time somebody views a page with my posts on it.
                  you'd only be able to link to images, you nit wit.

i don't think they'd want me with the ability to add PHP and javascript code to poly pages
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                    ZEN, even when you link them, the server downloads them, i've tested it.
                    how so? you are downloading them from another site, not Apolyton, in fact you can check in the status bar of your browser and see how when that image is being downloaded, it shows the link to the other site.

I know a lot of forums do this precisely to avoid bandwidth problems.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                      Off-site avatars ARE supported, check it one avatars are re-enables, problem is that since you are able to upload them, most people choose to upload rather than link.

Comment

ooOOOOooooOOooo Look at me.....
                        -
                        No alternating avatars btw , confusing enough as it is...
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

With Markos off in the army at right now, and Dan holding the fort by himself, I don't think this will be a priority. Sure, it would be good, but the effort needed would probably be prohibitive. Besides, all we need to do is wait until the RoN Rush (tm) is over and avatars should be back.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                            With Markos off in the army at right now, and Dan holding the fort by himself, I don't think this will be a priority. Sure, it would be good, but the effort needed would probably be prohibitive. Besides, all we need to do is wait until the RoN Rush (tm) is over and avatars should be back.
                            IIRC switching these things is just a few clicks in the Admin CP away...

Comment

Summer should help traffic too.

Comment

Working...
                              X