Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Apolyton already perfect or do you miss something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Apolyton already perfect or do you miss something?

I was just recently thinking about Apolyton, its services and features, when I encountered the question about its perfection and what might be missing or what could be different.

The key question is if Poly is already perfect as it is. Well, IMO it is already getting close to perfectionism with it's large coverage of all Civ titles, frequent news updates and alive fora. All that earns Poly 4-5 stars in my books, but not yet 100% perfect. Undoubtely no site will ever reach that, but yet you can get closer. Is there something I miss or would like to see improved? We do see many scattered threads, but really no brief and well detailed wishlists, which could maybe be useful for the owners, Markos and Dan. I do have some wishes which IMO would make Apolyton better from my point of view. To mention a few:

- Try to get the less trendy Civ, Civ II, CtP, CtP2, SMAC and Alt.Civs sections more up-to-date by improving with new fresh material (not files), kill off dead links and in general fix any outdated information (not old news items, of course).
    - Improve the Directory with even more files and keep it tidy. Also improve the links sections as suggested by me sometime last year. Minor pointer: a few days ago I couldn't find Red Front in the Civ II section. Maybe it would be worth to add it? (Okay we do have SL, but I already by that time had found it on CFC).
    - Seriously concider the previous proposal of donations and sponsored memberships. The reward gained in exchange doesn't have to be that great. People are already willing to throw in a fee dimes for the current service. Pop-ups and more banners to pay for the increased bandwith consumption by a growing site won't be what people like. It will only make people go elsewhere. Some additional measure could be to team up with some firm (note: not speaking of game networks).
    - On the forums you could make a small, but still nice improvement. Change the custom avatar size limit from 80x80 to e.g. 100x80 or so, as that wouldn't change the width of the postbit, because the avatars would still be 80 in width. Or maybe do that a sponsored membership feature.

But still as it now is, Poly is already nice.

What do you others miss on Poly or would in general want to see in the future?
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

-More pretty girls!
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Forbid name changing!
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Some your points are just a case of manpower IMHO and since Markos' laziness isn't really a secret....
        -
        As to the paying part, I'd say accept the money from members but keep the pop-ups etc., there not too bad. (and no special priveleges for paying(donating) members either )
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Eli,

Alva,

What pop-ups? I can't see any.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by alva

(and no special priveleges for paying(donating) members either)
            You say that out of jealousy, when you think about it. I assume I'm hitting the nail, right? Well, the point is that is the carrot for the donkey with the sponsored memberships or donations, as more people become interested. E.g. one of the largest Diablo II sites did that and gave donors a small "Friend of blah-blah" sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
              -More pretty girls!
              Agree... and they should all check in by me first
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Asuka

You say that out of jealousy, when you think about it. I assume I'm hitting the nail, right? Well, the point is that is the carrot for the donkey with the sponsored memberships or donations, as more people become interested. E.g. one of the largest Diablo II sites did that and gave donors a small "Friend of blah-blah" sign.
                Nope, I would be happy to contribute but I certainly don't expect anything in return for it.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Just for the record: I wouldn't expect anything either in exchange, but I just suggest giving it some extra value as it would most likelt increase people's interest.

Comment

-Free beer delivered instantly by teleportation.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Free beer delivered instantly by teletransported pretty girls wearing t-shirts with all the recent changed names.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Poly is perfect... well maybe just a new logo
                        Oh, and of course, pretty girls, pretty girls and pretty girls
                        >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                          Free beer delivered instantly by teletransported pretty girls wearing t-shirts with all the recent changed names.
                          If Mark could deliver this feature he'd be considerably more rich than he is now.

Comment

And the girls should love playing Civ, have a Poly account nearing Deity, and think the only thing better than playing games or posting here is sex with her and her twin sister.

Comment

perfect
                              CSPA

Comment

Working...
                              X