No announcement yet.

Apolyton pronounciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say A-på-ly-tån, but that's just the Norwegian in me I guess... (btw, å is said about like God )
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Actually my pronounciation depends on which language I use for saying it. In Finnish my pronounciation is the same is with the other Finns and in Swedish it's like you, Nikolai, except with a softer pitch. In English you already heard me saying it.
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

(ton is a nasal sound in French, I can think of no equivalent in other languages I know)
        What isn't a nasal sound in French?
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

oh, and for the record, uh PAUL i tin
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any font that has special pronunciation characters like the schwa, since I don't see any of the online dictionaries using them.

I say uh-pol’-ih-tun.

I'm guess that's what Obiwan is saying. See? Canadians aren't not all bad.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              I think there are only 2 or 3 ways that people say it..............it's just everyone has there own phonetic way of typing it.
              Indeed. Last year I was on a trip to Malaysia. There, our guide had just broken her tongue in an attempt to pronounce some of our names (we were all Dutch and most of us had typically Dutch names) and she was talking about her mother tongue, Bahasia Indonesia (sp?): "It's a very simple language: contrary to most languages, we pronounce words exactly as we write them."

After which the whole bus replied: "So do we!"
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Re: Apolyton pronounciation

Originally posted by War of Art
                I don't know if I spelt that right.

Anyway, what is the correct pronuciation of "Apolyton"?

I always thought it was Ah-Poll-Eee-Ton, or perhaps Ay-Poll-Eee-Ton.

DanQ says it Ap-Poh-Lay-Ton.

So who's right, or does anyone have a better suggestion.

This is really bugging me now.

-Jam
                A-poll-eh-ton is the proper pronunciation of Apolyton. Ah-poll-eye-ton is Canadian slang...

----------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS

P.S. Listen to an 'in-house' broadcast on Apolyton Civilization Site Radio for an audio clip of this -- e.g. go to the ~5m:22s mark on the current 'Thursday' broadcast for "ACSR Daily".
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

It sounds like you say "Uh-Poll-Tonn"

Comment

Uhhhh Poly Tahn
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Uh-pawl-it-n

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                        A-poll-eh-ton is the proper pronunciation of Apolyton. Ah-poll-eye-ton is Canadian slang...
                        ----------------
                        Dan; Apolyton CS
                        I pronounced it wrong for many years
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: Re: Apolyton pronounciation

Originally posted by DanQ

A-poll-eh-ton is the proper pronunciation of Apolyton.
                          I was right, then. Good to know.
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

So I was wrong?
                            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Looks like it Ras. Thanks Dan

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
                                ah POL li ton
                                I agree with this... DOWN WITH DANQ
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X