Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton pronounciation

I don't know if I spelt that right.

Anyway, what is the correct pronuciation of "Apolyton"?

I always thought it was Ah-Poll-Eee-Ton, or perhaps Ay-Poll-Eee-Ton.

DanQ says it Ap-Poh-Lay-Ton.

So who's right, or does anyone have a better suggestion.

This is really bugging me now.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

There was a thread on this a couple of months back. I say it A-po-ly-ton, but I think the correct pronunciation was Apo-lee-ton, though there were so many different phonetic versions flying around that may not be the right one.

Comment

I usually say A-C-S or Po-ly. However I would pronounce Apolyton Greek as the word is Greek. Only problem is that I don't speak Greek. In English... Hmm... I think I would say it as Dan as he's the authority and tells us how to pronounce it on ACSR.

Dan,

could you bring up the issue in the next ACSR broadcast so that we get to hear the Truth(tm)?
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Do you pronouce the "ly" as lie, lee or lay? Where do you put the stress(es). Is the first "A" an "aah" or an "ah" or an "ayi" ?

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

I pronounce it "lie", which I assume is more correct, plus I stress at "ayi."
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Should I record it so that it's easier to understand what I mean?

Comment

Well, my Greek isn't too good but if I'm not mistaken it should be Ah-poll-ea-ton (ea as in beat). So yeah, WoA, I basically agree with you. I've always referred to the DanQ's pronounciation as 'the DanQ version'

(It may help English speakers to replace the 'y' with an 'i' and to approach it as a Spanish word, as Greek is a lot more similar to Spanish than to English (in pronouncation, anyway)).

But I guess there will always be arguments on this issue until someone buys Markos a microphone
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Sure.

-Jam

Comment

Ras,
                  DanQ already addressed the issue several years ago:

But I for one still disagree, stubborn bastard that I am
                  Last edited by Locutus; May 8, 2003, 07:51.

Comment

Slow day eh WoA?
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Here's how a Greek pronounces the Greek word 'poli' (meaning 'much'). Of course, that's not necessarily the same as Apolyton, but I don't think the difference is huge (but I must admit my knowledge on Greek pronounciation is rather limited).

Source: http://egnatia.ee.auth.gr/~iaeste/english/english.htm
                      Attached Files

Comment

Actually I was telling a friend about 'poly, and I said "Apolyton" and he said, write it down, so I did, and he read it and said "Oh - Appolayton, and I said "That's wrong, that is", so I posted here.

Oh - and I lost my job on Monday, so yeah pretty slow, thanks for asking

-Jam

[Edit -Thanks, but the wav. doesn't download]

[2nd Edit - Got it from the link - that's how I say "poly"]

Comment

Originally posted by War of Art
                          Sure.

-Jam
                          Sure to my or Loc's message?

Loc,

that record sure is hilarious. Especially when Dan's voice booms when he tries to pronounce it correctly.

Comment

That was "Sure - you should record it" I'll have to listen to DanQ getting it wrong, for a comparison.

-Jam

Comment

My favourite version for some reason is...

Ape-o-lay-ton

Comment

Working...
                              X