newbie PBEM game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie PBEM game?

I haven't tried any multiplayer action yet and would like to get a PBEM game going. Anyone else interested?

OK Darius. I'm not too familliar with Xfire yet, so i was thinking of SMACv4 with standard rules. Xfire or a few rule tweaks wouldn't be a big deal for me though.

What's a good number of starting players? 4?

Comment

OK Darius. I'm not too familliar with Xfire yet, so i was thinking of SMACv4 with standard rules. Xfire or a few rule tweaks wouldn't be a big deal for me though.

What's a good number of players to start with? 4?

Comment

SMAC4 is fine with me. I prefer directed, not blind, research (you get to choose which tech to research next).

My other two games have four players each. Four is good, but it can be slow sometimes.

I propose that we wait a day or two to see if anyone else responds here, then start with whoever we have at that time.

Darius
        "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Shall we start divying up factions? I'm partial to the Hive.

Comment

I'll play. I'm also new at MP. I'm in the early stages of two games now, my first MP games.

Darius
            "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

Nigel:

I would be interested in getting in your game if you still have room for another. My only experience with MP is hotseat games with friends in my area. I've never set up a PBEM game, but have smac or smacx so either is cool. I'm flexible on my faction you can both choose first if you like, just let me know whats taken. Anyway I'll check back and see if I'm going to be in or not.

Comment

If everyone here wants to play Smac rather than X, I wouldn't mind joining. I'm in a few games right now (one with Darius, in fact) but since I've yet to contact a human in any of them, you couldn't call it real MP experience!

I would go with directed research, and preferably do-or-die, though I'm not that bothered. Is everyone OK with transcend?

As to faction, I'm not that bothered; I wouldn't mind trying the University, but I think Darius may be a fan of theirs. We shall see.

j.moughan@excite.com
                "Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
                - Samuel Palmer

Comment

Sounds like we've got a foursome. Let's start a game with the following settings:

Smac (not X) version 4.
                  Directed research
                  Do-or-die
                  All average environmental settings
                  Transcend (Any objections?)

Nigel: Hive
                  Simpson II: University
                  Darius: I'll take Gaians
                  Stuntman19: Who do you want?

Darius

Comment

I would take the Peacekeepers of the remaining smac factions. My e-mail is stunt_man_19@yahoo.com. Whatever the group decides for settings is n\p for me. Look forward to getting started .

Comment

Does average environmental settings mean a random, standard-size planet? I usually prefer BIG planets, but I suppose PBEM takes long enough as it is, no?

I guess we're ready to go. Do we select an emcee to collect passwords and generate the game?

Comment

Nigel:

If you are not generating a scenario (such as giving the AI extra units/credits/landmark goodies, etc) you just jump right in and one of you generate the game - the game itself will tell you whose turn is first, and if not the generator's, just save without a password and e-mail it.

Each player then opens the game at his/her turn and gives their own password initially before commencing that first turn.

After that it's plain sailing.

If you need an MNC for rules interpretation, etc, I'd be happy to and can set it up before disappearing for my extended vacation.

Googlie

Comment

Yes, I meant random planet, standard size, with average native life, average clouds, average ocean size. I have no objection to big planets, but as you say, it will take a lot longer. Maybe we should stick with standard size for now.

If everyone is agreeable, I will generate the game later today with these settings and send it to the first player.

Googlie - what's this about an extended vacation?

Comment

Game started and sent to Nigel.

Comment

2101 sent to Simpson II.

Comment

Working...
                              X