PBEM tournament, looking for players!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some general anouncements and issues to discuss:

1. Certain messages only appear for 1 player, but would concern all, e.g. sea levels rising. The player who receives these, should let the other know about them (either email or post on the turn-admin thread). I'll add this to the rules, but wanted to anounce it here too, because it is a late-addition.

2. What should we do in SMACX games if 2 human players are eliminated but the AI is still active, so the game did not end according to the program, but practically over ? The question becomes even more interesting if the AI wins later
    One possibility is to record the victory year to be the MY when the second human player was eliminated. Other possibility is to let the last player play it out with the AI and report the victory year with the final save to the CMN - and in case the AI wins, the game is considered to bea draw - nobody gets or loses points for it!

3. Starting with several techs has its good points but it also slows down further research. Due to a bug that happened in some PK-games (ACT003 and ACT010 I think), it occured to me, that it would be possible and perhaps desireable to start the games with low tech cost, i.e. having 7 starting techs but still a low tech cost just like in a standard start. We could also alter the starting techs instead of all level 1 techs, start with all faction-starting techs, that way all factions have their usual starting techs, but there is still full balance... We could startin using the new start-tech system for 'seconf-level' games, i.e. those that are started after the player has already completed one.

4. How about a 6-player final amongst the best-scored players to decide the champion ?

I would create a large map, with 6 islands similar to these arranged in two rows of 3, with a minimum distance of 12 squares from each other. That way, each faction can still reach any other at roughly the same distance. I wouldn't put any pods on the start islands, but there would be plenty of them in the water and neutral territories. I would also put a lot of tiny islands on the map. This way, even jets couldn't reach the other islands in a single turn unless they have very high reactor (available much later).

5. And finally a player-specific question:
    Genaciv, MtG and LTEC!, there are only the 3 of you who has unfilled game capacity, so I could start a SMAC game for you, but considering MtG-LTEC! relationship, it may not be the best idea... What do you think ?

Zsozso
    ::Zsozso::

Comment

• Heh I thought this was where you sign up for PBEM games... has turned into more of a critique of the fine points of scoring.

Anyway please sign me up!
      I'll play alphax or original, no real preference.

Faction preferences: Morgan,Lal,Drones, maybe Hive or Believers
      NOT UOP!
      Looking forward to it!
      Oh, and unlimited games at one time.
      [This message has been edited by Buddha (edited February 16, 2000).]

Comment

• double post
        [This message has been edited by Buddha (edited February 16, 2000).]

Comment

• Let them eat cake! and I have no problem playing in games together, but we'll decline anymore games with Genaciv the Clueless.

We don't need to be flooded with trivial "reply to all" emails, and his "class clown" attention getting acts. It would be a high annoyance factor to play someone competent like that - it's over the red line annoyance factor to play someone marginal at best with an attitude like that.
          [This message has been edited by MichaeltheGreat (edited February 21, 2000).]
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Zsozso, in response to your number 4, I think a round-robin arrangement of a lesser number players in each game would be more even than a six player free for all. A four player coop format might work - giving the choice of accepting a tie for first by two cooperating players. You could work with one or two groups of four players.

The island concept doesn't work as well as it seems. Make X-jets and choppers, and kamikaze them, and you can cripple another faction or two or five at relatively low cost and great distance. Sacrificing a couple of X-jets to reduce a size 8 capital to size 2 is not a bad deal, right? In one game, I used choppers at 60% damage (two turns of flight) to do long-range crawler plinking raids on multiple targets 25 squares from my nearest base. So you get a tech race that heavily favors factions like UoP, PK and Morgan, and shafts factions like Hive and Believers.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• To the clueless: (you know who you are)

Nobody plays my games. I'm lazy and rather than look up the book or send multiple emails to everyone on my list about a stupid question i ask...my er...husband.

Thanks for your support and rep build-up.
              See you on PBEMS

Yours truly.
              Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

• Budha, please give me your email address, otherwise I can't send you any information (password, starting save) and others can't send you the turn saves either...
                I have another question for you: would you be willing to play Spartans to replace Edgecrusher in ACT003 (he has dropped out of the tournament) ? It would be a restarted game so if you do not want to play Spartans you could play other factions (except UoP and PK) in that game too.

Other new games I'm planning to start up soon:
                ACT017: Misotu - Budha - Genaciv(PK)
                ACT018: LTEC! - Budha - Michaelthegreat(UoP)
                AXT007: Misotu - Symil - Budha

As Budha would be playing in all, I have to wait for his email address...
                ::Zsozso::

Comment

• Sorry I tried to post one last time before I left for the weekend but the forum forgot my account.
                  My normal email is hendrikv@home.com

Unfortunately Bresnan is going through a merger and I am not sure if my email is still functioning. I'll get back to you on that...

Sure I'll replace edgecrusher. Spartans are ok... but I would prefer Morgan. I dont like UoP any way.

I use icq A LOT.. but I dont have my account number with me right now and am not at my regular computer(I will be back at regular comp by 2-28). Anyone here care to give me their icq ##'s?
                  [This message has been edited by Buddha (edited February 21, 2000).]

Comment

• Mine is 23588818 (set to Always), Let them eat cake!'s is 23579791 (set to Authorize)

Comment

• Great ... new email games. Thanks Zsozso.

- Mis
                      Team 'Poly

Comment

• Well two things to say...

first of all I am changing my account name as requested by DanQ. Never really thought that this name is offensive to Buddhists. Well go figure, I'll change it anyway.
                        My icq is 56192410.. set to authorize.
                        My new account name is..

heh not sure feeling lost identity. Hrm I'll make it...
                        Enigma

with signature
                        "The Artist Formerly Known as Buddha"

anyway zsozso please email me the starts, etc.

Comment

• Yo zsozso? could someone please email me start for next multiplay game?

Comment

• Zso-

I would like to add another game to my mix. All three I am currently in are proceeding exceedingly slow, so I certainly have time for one more.

SMAC/SMACX either is fine. As for factions, Lal, Deirdre, Domai or Roze would be my choices, but I'll play as anyone.

-Kinjy

Comment

• My ACT019 request is to be PKs..
                              oh, and I've reformed my e-mail "reply-all" habits, but I think that LTEC! is still mad at me..
                              My first ACT game (14?) is moving exceptionally slowly...
                              - Genaciv

Comment

• Just posting this so that my real message ends up on top of the next page. Sorry...

Comment

Working...
                                X