Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Players wanted to join Googlie, Minute Mirage and Hercules ...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Players wanted to join Googlie, Minute Mirage and Hercules ...........

........... in a 5-player, 2 AI SMAX game to be CMN'd by Darsnan

My suggested settings would be the 2 Alien Factions as the AI, with nervegas set to Secrets of Alpha Centauri (same level tech as the Progenitors being enabled to build subspace generators) to level the playing field.

All victory conditions, spoils off, blind research and tech stagnation (maybe the game would last longer than 100 years then), Bell Curve.

Huge map (maybe even 96 x 128?) 50-70% water, average everything else.

Transcend level.

Any takers? (and comments, MM and Herc)

G.

I would actually prefer directed research and no tech stagnation, because I think the PBEMs take a long time to play even now, in terms of real time, that is. I'm also not a very big fan of randomness and while I feel blind research might add spice to a SP game, I feel that this might make the role of luck too big in a MP game. Consider another human getting IA 20 years before you, and you see what I'm worrying about.

However, I must add that I've never actually played a blind research MP game, so I have no first-hand experience on this. Also, if everyone else wishes to play with blind research on, I'm willing to accept it. At least I have a ready excuse for losing the game, then.

Btw, I'd like to pick the University as my faction, if I may. I haven't learned to play the other factions well enough to use them in a MP game.

Comment

Re: 2 Players wanted to join Googlie, Minute Mirage and Hercules ...........

Originally posted by Googlie
      ........... in a 5-player, 2 AI SMAX game to be CMN'd by Darsnan

G.
      Heah Googlie,

since you already know about it, why should I tell the other players about the new little "pet" I've built for this game?

D

Comment

I am interested.

I'll take Morgan if there's no objections.

zeljkacuric@lycos.com

Regards.

SF
        My life, my rules

Comment

I'm intrested too

I would like to be CyCon, if its still free

MSN:
          laurentius99@hotmail.com
          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Re: Re: 2 Players wanted to join Googlie, Minute Mirage and Hercules ...........

Originally posted by Darsnan
            Heah Googlie,

since you already know about it, why should I tell the other players about the new little "pet" I've built for this game?

D
            Actually, I'm going to save this unit for my January CGN Challenge. I've come up with a better idea for this game.....

Anyways, I've got an H2H for wgabrie and AgentSubversion that is 90% done, then a 4 Player PBEM to design which should take me thru the end of this week. I will then start work on this game here, which, because I'll be OOT for a while, will probably be done by the end of the first week of December. FYI.
            If you have any preferences for this game, please post, discuss, and resolve in this thread, so that I can incorporate them properly into my playtesting.
            I'll also post the premise for this game into this thread when I have more time.

D

Comment

Timing is OK by me.

So we have our five:

Googlie
              Minute Mirage, as the University
              Hercules
              SmartFart, as Morgan
              laurentius, as the Consciousness

(looks like it may be a builder/researchers game - who's going to defend us against the Progenitors?)

I guess I'll play as the Gaians, then

I'm happy enough with Directed Research, and without tech stagnation - I just think that the games are more interesting if one is able to build and use some units and facilities before they become obsolete

(My current SP games are on a 386 x 512 map, with an amended alphax.txt to give a 75% tech penalty and 800 years of playing - awesome games)

But I'll go with the majority opinion on this one

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

(My current SP games are on a 386 x 512 map, with an amended alphax.txt to give a 75% tech penalty and 800 years of playing - awesome games)
                In my current SP games I try for fastest possible transcendence on a huge map and the games take a few weeks to play. (Well, OK, I've only completed one so far.) The amount of micro-managing gets pretty tough there and I shudder when I think of your games... Not to mention how they would run on my PII 400.

Comment

IF nobody minds another research faction, I 'll go with the Data Angels.
                  On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Re: Re: 2 Players wanted to join Googlie, Minute Mirage and Hercules ...........

Originally posted by Darsnan
                    ........... the new little "pet" I've built for this game?
                    D
                    Ah, yes ... the lurking-in-the-fungus Demon Boil IoD carrying 4 native life rogue Ogre Mk III's ...........

G.

Comment

if you guys want another, i'll play
                      Agent Subversion out

Comment

Actually...I love an idea to play with tech stagnation on.
                        It may be somewhat slow in beginning,but wars are much more fun when you don't have a new tech every 3-4 turns.

Blind research or not, either way is fine,but I vote for tech stagnation. Tech trade,crawlers and AA's is quite enough for speeding up a game,so TS can be a nice balancer.

My 2 cents.

Regards.

SF
                        My life, my rules

Comment

It's that slow bit in the beginning: getting to MY 2150 could take some time with 5 players and it is good to maintain interest. Otoh I don't think I' ve played a game with tech stagnation before. No views on Blind research.
                          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Game Premise

The Premise for this game will be: In the previous Progenitor Era, the Ancient Ones for some unknown reason felt compelled to build a Planetary Defense Grid to guard Planet against an interstellar invasion. To this end they built two huge citadels, one at each pole of Planet, thereby giving the Progenitors the ability to protect every area of Planet from these fortified positions.
                            When Guardian Hmnee and Conquerer Maar arrived in the Alpha Centauri Solar System, they each immediately headed for one of the fortresses that their ancestors had prepared, and once ensconced, broke open the ancient fortress seals and began equipping themselves with the weapons found within.
                            The Humans from their vantage points could only watch with horrified amazement as night after night missiles arced up from Planet's poles, piercing the stratosphere on their way to establishing near-Planet orbits. Now, many moons later, the heavens are crowded with many little dots of light zipping overhead of the human settlements: the Aliens are watching the Humans' every move, and are preparing to sally forth from their fortresses to eliminate any possibility of interference from the humans.
                            Fortunately for the Humans, several of the Progenitors missiles misfired, and have crashlanded near each of the Human enclaves. Although the technology governing their operation is currently undecypherable, why your scientists assure you that it will hasten their research in discovering orbital spaceflight!

Besides satelites (and note that I am not giving the Progenitors the technologies for satelites - I am simply starting the Progenitors off with several satelites - composition to be determined via playtesting), I am thinking of giving each of the Progenitors either the Supercollider, or the other "+100% Labs at this base" SP (just can't remember its name right now - Grrr!). This, combined with whatever else makes its way into the Aliens' arsenals, should give you guys some real "cause for concern". Playtesting will proof out what I feel is appropriate, and I will proceed accordingly.
                            Also, per the above comment about crashlanded missiles, why I am planning to downscale the prerequisite technologies for orbital spaceflight so that it will become a viable part of this game, as well. Supremacy of Planet could very well begin and end with control of the near-space surrounding Planet, because the last item I am tentatively planning on introducing is an ICBM that has a range of approximately 30 tiles. It will become available near the same time that Neve Gas and the Progenitors ability to call their respective Home Fleet.

So: I won't be getting to this game for about another week, so you have time to discuss what I have said, and reach a consensus as to what, if any, of the above I will actually incorporate into this game.

One final note: since Diplomatic Victory is currently going to be enabled, why I think it would be neat to also state that if either Progenitor is able to call their respective Home Fleet, that the game is then considered a Draw for all Humans. This then would allow a weaker Human Faction to commit the Ultimate Atrocity by betraying Humanity and somehow assisting one of the Aliens to Victory. Up to you if you want to play with this condition. I'll stop by again after I complete wgabrie's game, which should be in about a week.

D

Comment

Getting Orbital Spaceflight earlier sounds interesting, although it makes me somewhat worried about the planet busters. All in all, this sounds like an interesting set-up for the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X