Interesting Terraforming Method (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Terraforming Method (?)

I was just playing some SMAC/X, when a thought struck me. Can an exploding Scout Patrol unit clear improvements? And if improvements, why not fungus?

I've never had a self-destructing unit actually hurt anything, unless it had a Fusion reactor or higher.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I don't think that works. you can terraform with fungal/tectonic missiles and even planet busters though.
      Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

Comment

AFAIK Patashu is correct. SMAC(X) is my favorite game because of all the terraforming options you have. As a builder I love to change the land and maximize what I can get from it.

Comment

Usually with terraforming I just stuck mines on all rocky squares then set all formers on fully automate. Now though i'm going absolutely crazy starting boreholes everywhere possible and just filling the other squares with condensors or forests, if i get the WP poor planet is screaming for mercy
          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Re: Interesting Terraforming Method (?)

Uchuu-kun[SM42] asked:
            I was just playing some SMAC/X, when a thought struck me. Can an exploding Scout Patrol unit clear improvements? And if improvements, why not fungus?
            Self-destruct affects only units, not terrain. Not being very efficient, it's best used against pre-softened units (artillery's redemption). As noted by Alinestra Covelia: it does require higher reactors, and I, too, have never had a self-destructed unit damage anything except itself.
            I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Neither have I, had any luck with self destruct units.
              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Won't artillery remove improvements though?

Comment

Artillery will remove man-made terraforming improvements, as will air-strikes, but shelling fungus just increases the likelihood that a mindworm will emerge, angry and looking for trouble. Only formers can clear fungus, or the occasional forest expansion.

Comment

Too bad you can't have artillary(ranged) formers...dunno how they'd work though.

Comment

Artillery affects improvements only when there is no unit in the space.
                      I discovered this when naval-bombarding an improved coastal space from the second sea square out. I knew the square had been improved from previous investigation, but could not now "see into" the square.
                      Instead of destroying the improvement as I intended, my artillery damaged units which had moved in during interim turns while my ship was not adjacent.
                      I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

I suppose there could be a couple of uses for a terraformer who could make changes at range, but mostly I'd rather have 2 cheap formers than 1 pricey one, at least until I get Super Fusion formers.

Comment

Re: Re: Interesting Terraforming Method (?)

Originally posted by gwillybj
                          Self-destruct affects only units, not terrain. Not being very efficient, it's best used against pre-softened units (artillery's redemption). As noted by Alinestra Covelia: it does require higher reactors, and I, too, have never had a self-destructed unit damage anything except itself.
                          There was a thread here some month ago about self-destruction damage (or was it at CGN?).

Strictly speacking, "not efficient", "best use", "require higher reactors", are just (legitimate) personal preferences or opinions.

Offhand, I think to recall that the damage inflicted was

Weapon*Reactor/2 hitpoints

That is, a self-destructing Fission Impact unit would cause 2 hitpoints damage, a Missile unit 3 HP damage, a Chaos one 4 HP, a FusionLaser one 5 HP.
                          That is, you'd need 2 10-weaponed units to inflcit 10HP damage. Or 2 Missile and 1 Chaos.
                          Mind tho, that damage is applied to EVERY SINGLE UNIT adjacent to the kamikaze and outside a base, even stacked, enemy or *friendly* (yes, you'll damage your own adjacent units too!). And regarldess to armor, morale, or any combat modifier.
                          In crowded places, where your attacker would have good chances to be killed after reatliation anyway, this can be eventually *more* efficient than normal attack. Think of an energy park for instance...
                          ___

It's possible to get Organic SuperLubricants (Weapon 10) before Fusion reactors, but even then Fusion shouldn't be far away neither.

According to the above formula, with Fusion Reactor the damage would be HP equal to the kamikaze weapon.
                          That is, with a 10-1-x*2 (or with two Gatling Fusion units) you can kill every adjacent Fission unit (of course if enemy has Fusion reactor too they'll have more HP to be consumed before dying)....
                          I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

PS:
                            a scout patrol (or any unit with weapon=1), that is a 1-x-x*1, would inflict 1*1/2=0.5 HP self-destruct damage, rounded down to.... ZERO
                            I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Mario,

You likely remmeber the CGN topic thread I started on self destruct units. I don't think we discussed it much here but I could be mistaken.

An add and/or clarification to Mario's points. Fusion Laser fusion reactor unit self destructs are enoughto destroy all adjacent fission units and ALL NATIVES as well as Native life is considered fission reactor. What this means is that if you have a significant fungal bloom from excessive mineral production and are about to be worm raped. A simple fusion laser (or better) fusion reactor (or better) needlejet, drop unit, chopper ,etc. can be rushed to the scene and detonated to prevent worm rape of your base.

The formula he describes appears to be correct. What's more all fractions appear to round down.

Being swarmed by noodles and choppers and you don't want to make SAM units, a self destruct(s) might be the ticket.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X