Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got gang-tackled

So here's what happened....

The world is set up in a way where every landmass is connected by interlocking land bridges.

So anyway, i set up with no natural resources next to me, Deidre is down south of me, Zak is toward my left and Morgan a little past Dee.

My scouts encounter a MASSIVE Believer force and I finally get in contact with Miriam. First diplomatic message she sends me is to tell me I have to give her 100 credits or else. Now, this all has happened within 10~15 realtime minutes. Eventually vendetta breaks out and after 2 real days of playing, I finally beat Miriam but she escapes in a pod. Well, during the Believer/Hive war, I encounter Lal while runnning a Police State. He IMMEDIATELY declares vendetta against me. I switch my economics to 'Planned' to help me out with my population's slow growth. Lal sends a landing party against me and suddenly Dee declares vendetta on me. I have five bases with less than 5 and I have 2 factions in my territory with at least double-digit enemy units in my territory.

Well, I couldn't mass produce enough units in time and lost the game. This is my FIRST loss and I'm pretty pissed. Has anyone here lost a game, or am I the only sad-sack?

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

I got bum-rushed my Miriam with lasers once before I could get even the worst armour. That sucked. And I lost a trancend race to Morgan one time. That sucked more. I learnt from that to stockpile crawlers and ECs for rushing it. That's about it. I tend to quit "loosing" situations a bit too often.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I lost in the first year it was out, and in more than one occasion, when I playtested the rover-rush tactic with the Spartans.
      Even 4-5 of them were not enough for me to reliably overcome a Believer base (but not even a Uni or PK one!) defended with a couple synth garrisons, and in the meanwhile I always ended up to be underdefended against a couterstrike, and desperately underdeveloped and underproductive with respect to the other factions, leaving the tech lag alone.

Many players claim(ed) that the game-balance is almost broken because this is almost a wargame in which a rover-rush is a too easy way to win...
      To me, that famed tactic is broken.
      Either I suck militarly (which is anyway true to some extent), or there was something wrong with those claims...
      I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

I used to lose back in the days when I played as a pure builder, paying no attention to the military side of things. Miriam and Yang taught me bitter lessons.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I once played a OCC game but got planetbusted by the Usurpers. Boom! and game away.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Damn that Lal and his precious UN
            I don't think i've lost a game yet but i have quit a few mainly because they became so tedious, i've been playing as a different faction and managing drones and fighting 4 factions doing same thing for 50 turns while i waited for choppers just
            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
              I used to lose back in the days when I played as a pure builder, paying no attention to the military side of things. Miriam and Yang taught me bitter lessons.
              Excactly me as well

Comment

I once sent my one Scout Patrol out of my landing base to open a Unity Pod adjacent, which turned out to be infested with worms. They ignored the patrol and swarmed over the base. Game Over, M.Y. 2102. I can't quote here what I said then
                I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

thanks everyone. At least now I know that some people have had it as bad (maybe even worse) than myself.

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I lost in the early days but once I got to transcend I have lost only once to the AI -- I lose all the time in PBEMs but thats another story.

I lost playing as Miriam with tech stag and double-blind research. I got stuck on a pretty crappy island and made what turned out to be a HUGE strategic error in missing out on the Weather paradigm. By the time I realized how small and crappy my lands were and started researching towards getting boats . . . I was way behind. and nobody ever visited me for something like 70 years

I never got off my lands as the Spartans terraformed a a land bridge and hit me with overwhelming force.

I replayed the game, this time making sure to get the WP at all costs. With that I was able to terraform my way to nearby lands, meet other folks early and make a few tech trades before going on to win
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I just lost to a game to the AI.

I was doing well as Morgan, good starting position alone on a moderately sized island, great specials, and nearing successful completion on Merchant Exchange and WP.

I pop a pod and get an earthquake.

Who shows up the next turn asking for a loan? Yang.

Who sneak attacks the following turn? Yang.

Competely wiped out by a swarm of 2-2-1 infantry.
                      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Just recently I got steamrolled by the Gaians. Serves me right for playing as the University. I'm only decent as Morgans or Gaians. Anyway, they captured all my bases except the capital, and then called off the war and went to cordial relations. Weird. I kept playing, though. Technically I hadn't been eliminated, so I was gonna try and rebuild from one city. In the end, Deirdre won by transcendence. It was funny (and refreshing) to not end the game with a management monster of fifty bases plus.
                        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Nice thing about this game, you have fun even when not winning Usually takes some bad luck to lose however. We would all probably lose more often if we never restarted or did the unmentionable (reload)

Comment

Working...
                          X