Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly causes Ocean levels to rise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly causes Ocean levels to rise?

Ok, I'm having a little problem here. In the latter part of the game, sometimes I'd just get the Ocean Levels to rise a lot and submerging many of my city (and ruining my improvements) in the game. What exactly causes this anyway? Ecological damage? I built plenty of Centauri Preserves etc.

Eco damage, with global warming, could be one of the answers. Did the Planetary Council approve the "melt polar caps" proposal? This will rise the ocean levels.
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Also, keep in mind that the ocean doesn't actually rise, as far as the game is concerned. The game translates this by making the ground sink.

So when the ocean rises, the values of solar collectors, etc, will decrease because it's actually sinking.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Well you might have very few to none eco-damage, but this doesn't always apply to your opponents.

Launching a Solar Shade (Planetary Council) sort of counters this.

Comment

Also remember that those sort of facilities (Centauri Preserves, etc) only count towards reducing eco-damage levels after the first pop.
          Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Nono Height is measured in Meters above Sea level thats the Cause ;=)
            Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

While that is true, it doesn't make sense Solar Collectors lose their bonus since they're still as close to the sun anyway.

Comment

Had a game a couple weeks ago where I was pushing the ocean rise happening on purpose. Built an army of super formers and trans every thing in sight. when the sea went up the first sixty meters, no problem, raised the shore lines and made another row of boreholes and condensers, then came 300+ meters and rising, more shore rising with more bore boreholes and condensers, another 300+ rise and I was keeping up, then I got the big surprise I hadn't seen before,. A honking 900 meter rise. Renamed my home base Atlantis and quit as a sucessful experiment.

Comment

I just build a mag tube "spine" between all my bases, and keep rising all squares on the spine to max elevation. If necessary, one could extent it a few squares out from each base. All you need is enough formers, which isn't hard when you get clean reactors.

Comment

My fave is using armoured sea formers to sink enemy bases.

Not really relevant to this thread but
                    (+1)

Comment

Now, once you get a "sea levels will rise" warning, can you prevent it from happening WITHOUT launching a solar shade?

How about if you build enough Centauri Preserves and stuff? Tree farms?
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                        My fave is using armoured sea formers to sink enemy bases.

Not really relevant to this thread but
                        Eh, it's not that effective (at least in MP every good player will build pressure domes in all coastal bases) and horribly expensive.

BTW, do sunken landmarks lose their bonuses? What about nuked ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                          Now, once you get a "sea levels will rise" warning, can you prevent it from happening WITHOUT launching a solar shade?

How about if you build enough Centauri Preserves and stuff? Tree farms?
                          I'm pretty sure that it's impossible. Moreover, AFAIK even with solar shades sea level will not remin at constant - in one turn it will rise due to GW, in next it will drop due to shade. So you can lose your borehole in one turn and regain its tile in the next. One can be really pissed off...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Jekyll

BTW, do sunken landmarks lose their bonuses? What about nuked ones?
                            I know nothing about nuked landmarks, but sunken ones unfortunately lose any bonuses. It may even be that if you ever change landmark level it loses its bonus... tho I'm not sure about this one...

Comment

The landmark levels can survive about a one level shift up or down.

In addition to this, the Freshwater sea loses its bonus the moment it comes in contact with outer saltwater oceans.
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X