X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twilight of the Mind is out!

Hey everyone

Just wanted to let you know that Twilight of the Mind is out, the final installment in the Alpha Centauri trilogy of novels. It's available at good old www.amazon.com and should also be available at your local bookseller (though it can be tough to find...some bookstores put it in the regular sci-fi section, and some mix it in with the Star Trek books and other game books).

The blurb from the back reads:

"A century after the events of Dragon Sun, civilization is braced for a final reckoning. Science and faith collide as the fanatical Believers of Sister Miriam vie with the technological might of Prokhor Zakharov in a merciless war of destruction.

"Five beseiged factions join the battle against Miriam's zealots while Zakharov and Miriam spar in the virtual labyrinth of a sprawling technological network. As the planet Chiron prepares itself for a new era, humanity's struggle hurtles toward a shocking conclusion..."

Hmmm, "fanatical believers" versus "technolgical might?" It may sound familiar, but the manuscript for this book was actually written before the events of Sept 11th. Lal, Morgan and the Human Hive also play a role in this book. There is a summary note in the beginning of the book for those who haven't read the others in the series.

Hope you enjoy...

michael ely
    Last edited by michael_ely; January 30, 2002, 14:56.

Thanks for the update!

Are you planning anything in the way of upcoming books with the SMACX characters?

Comment

I originally posted this in the Civ3 thread, but here goes anyway:

Mister Ely, Sir, are there any plans to combine the three books to one big version? Haven't read any of them, and could use the possibility to reduce postage costs...?
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Michael Ely: Would it be possible to get a sample chapter to wet our appetites?
        Please
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Hey there

The answers to all your questions:

There are no plans to combine the three books into one at this time. Of course, if you ordered all three from amazon.com at once that would save some postage at least.

Also, no plans now for the SMACx characters, although that would be cool.

And finally, I am getting a sample chapter together to send to Dan and Mark to post up here.

thanks!
          michael

Comment

Yay! I'm making it a point to get it today! I was thinking February but I'm not really complaining!

Comment

Are there going to be any books playing in the SMAC/SMAX setting at all, maybe also by other authors? And if so can you already tell us more about them?

Comment

Originally posted by michael_ely
                There are no plans to combine the three books into one at this time. Of course, if you ordered all three from amazon.com at once that would save some postage at least.
                OK, fair enough.
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I just bought all three of ME's books after only reading the dragon sun exerpt (is that spelled right?) and i wonder are these books connected in any way (the same planet situation, faction placement.)
                  I also ordered Power of the mindworms(the graphic novel), is it connected to Ely's books?

Well now I just sit back and wait untill Amazon ship the books, how many pages are there by the way?
                  Maybe I will play a couple of SMAC game to wait, wonder how many games I could pay in three weeks.
                  Living in a small northern european (Norway)country sucks.
                  Get off my land you peacekeeping son of a....-Morgan Entertainment

Comment

Its was a good book, though I wished for a slighty happier ending.

It was funny how the game I was playing as the Lord's Believers turned out to have several parrells to book.
                    "I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber

Comment

King_Kristian,

ME's books are a trilogy, and each one highlights different factions. The first features the Spartans and PKs, the second primarily the Gaians and Yang (with Morgan and Santiago), and the last (apparently) Zak and Miriam, with others. The books are chronological, although the first two were independent enough to stand as separate novels.

I liked both novels one and two, which were average-sized paperbacks. Hope you enjoy them, too!

Hydro

Comment

According to the firaxis SMAC site, Dragon Sun has been "just released".

Is it possible get the sample chapter soon? I'm dying to read some of it while I wait for the book to ship to Australia.

Comment

Hi 2dfx

I sent the chapter to Dan and Markos, so they should put it up soon. But if you can't wait, you can email me at bookthoughts@yahoo.com and I'll send it out to you...

michael

Comment

here it is

attached it's in rtf format.
                            if the save dialog has "attachment.php" as the file name, change it to Twilight.rtf

many thanks to Michael!!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MarkG; February 5, 2002, 05:14.
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I just read the sample chapter: the storyline sounds really really cool. I will just have to go out and buy the book!
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Working...
                              X