This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offence to Hydro,

When I read 'Twilight of the Mind' it was clear to me that the captured Ideal who was sent to the Penitence Square was the one to modify the Planet Buster for the Singularity Core.

But Santiago living? Come on! We all know she got her butt vaporized!
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

FC,

I disagree with your assessment that even a super human Ideal would know, intuitively, how to do this – we are talking about a super secret and ultra specialized technology here that has progressed beyond mere abstract theory. And would his amazing intellect survive Miriam’s gentle ministrations of Penitence Square? Somehow I doubt that his subtle mind would have any edge left to form a working theory of a microsingularity, much less how to adapt it to a planetbuster. Moreover, even if he knew how he wouldn’t have the equipment to do so – Miriam’s society can’t even feed its citizens, much less fund anything approaching a scientific lab or form a highly developed industrial base.

As to Santiago, I said she went down fighting, as she should.

Hydro

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro
        FC,

I disagree with your assessment that even a super human Ideal would know, intuitively, how to do this – we are talking about a super secret and ultra specialized technology here that has progressed beyond mere abstract theory. And would his amazing intellect survive Miriam’s gentle ministrations of Penitence Square? Somehow I doubt that his subtle mind would have any edge left to form a working theory of a microsingularity, much less how to adapt it to a planetbuster. Moreover, even if he knew how he wouldn’t have the equipment to do so – Miriam’s society can’t even feed its citizens, much less fund anything approaching a scientific lab or form a highly developed industrial base.

Hydro
        touche. I respect your view but still think that the Ideal would figure out how to adapt the singularity core to the planet buster's warhead. But you do bring up points that I never thought of!

Still like the book though.
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

FC,

I can respect that. Much of what was in Ely’s books was innovative, and some bits that were downright brilliant (particularly in Book 2). Most of my gripes might be ascribed to having too literal a mind, or just plain ‘ol personal taste. To each his own.

Hydro

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro

To each his own.

Hydro
            True that, my colleague.

Comment

Im gonna miss my leader!
              Oh well I might as well switch, but I am NOT gonna be a Believer
              The Ghost Bear or Davions. Choose your Leader....
              Here its Spartan all the way!

Comment

I got one question.
                If Shenji Yang is in prison, and Miriam and Mia are busting continents.
                Where's Shenji now?

Comment

**WARNING - PLOT INFO REVIELED**

That is not entirely clear, although at the end of Book 2 I got the impression he would die in prison. I'd have to review the book to see if longevity treatments would be offered, but I seem to recall they were not.

Comment

Thanks man.

Comment

I just finished Centauri Dawn and couldn't put it down. Read every day on my lunch hour til I finished it. I'm getting ready to start Dragon Sun and will be hitting Barnes & Noble for Twilight!

Haven't played the Game; but, after reading the books, I just might have to give it a shot!!

Comment

My Thoughts on the books

I know it has been quite some time since this trilogy was written but I just
                        found out about these stories about a month ago. I've read all 3 books in
                        that time and would like to share some of my opinions on these books.

Book 1 was excellent I thought. Especially the references to events that
                        took place back on earth. The part about the 7 minute was between India and
                        Pakistan almost seemed like it could come true for a little while there!
                        The early years of the factions were also quite interesting. It would be a
                        very strange world to wake up in like Jahn did. Mind worms attacking,
                        alliance of the Unity broken up, family members dead, and questions about
                        who even survived the planet fall. I thought it was a great book and it
                        lead me to buy the next 2 books.

Book 2 was my least favorite even though many here have said it is their
                        favorite. The reason I didn't like it is because it didn't stick with the
                        sequence of events in the real game, namely the fact that Santiago had hover
                        tanks so soon and Skye had sky farms (remember this for Book 3 section).
                        Also the week long attack on Skye by Morgan and Santiago with all their
                        advanced weaponry obviously didn't even destroy the Gaians, yet one quick
                        swift attack by the Hive completely crushed the army of both of those
                        factions and left everyone cowering in fear of the Hive. Ugh, it just
                        doesn't happen that way in the game especially by a team under equip troops
                        against a stocked up army. The Skye talking with planet part and the
                        Virtual World as a means of seeing into others minds didn't appeal to me
                        either. And of course the fact that the mind worms stormed the building all
                        the leaders were in yet none of them even got hurt while in Book 3 mind
                        worms from a long distance away were hurting them all. Doesn't mesh very
                        well. Yang dying to his own clone and then his daughter hooking up with him
                        seemed a little...sick. Its like father and daughter knocking boots! I
                        don't care if its a clone, that is just wrong! lol Well anyways the
                        original Yang dying also really ruined the book. I never really liked him
                        but at least I could have a picture in my head of what this guy looked like
                        and how he would act. The new Yang was just some other guy who should have
                        long been dead.

Book 3 was my favorite, not because of the ending obviously, but rather
                        because it was Science vs Religion for the most part. I loved all the Zak
                        and Morgan parts where they were basically minding their own business but
                        always keeping an eye out for the only real danger left on the planet which
                        just happened to be from the most backward civilization, the Believers. I
                        was really hoping that Miriam would die in the initial attack since she is
                        just a dictator using mind control over her followers in the first place.
                        What an annoying thought of having her as a leader going against the grain
                        of all logic! Well skipping ahead to the end of the book, I really didn't
                        like the contradictions between the game and the book. Not only that but
                        the fact that the game had many similarities to real life while both were
                        contradicted by the book. First off, the loss of the home base was
                        equivalent to the loss of every base obviously. After 1 base was lost, Zak
                        was basically completely unable to launch a single attack, air or ground.
                        That makes no sense at all. His drop troops should have killed Miriam soon
                        after the mindworms dispersed and they found out where she was and while the
                        headquarters were still in tact but I guess that had to be avoided to so
                        that the book could have this gloomy ending. Oh and recall Skyes sky farms
                        in book 2. Where are the defense pods in book 3, 140 years after book 2?
                        And if they don't have defense pods, what deterrence do they have? You
                        saying they are all too dumb to even have any deterrence against other nukes?
                        If not, why didn't they sneak in a nuke to destroy all of New Jerusalem
                        before she could retal? Being just a few kilometers away, Zak could easily
                        have launched such a surprise attack. But no, he had no planet busters or
                        defense pods. Forgive me for not believing the worlds most powerful faction
                        wouldn't have any deterrence to nuclear war! Oh and why didn't Morgan simply
                        send a lit explosive over seas when the 2 teleporters were linked? That
                        would have ended the Hive right there and then and destroyed the other
                        teleporter. Oh guess he was too dumb for that as well Ok I guess I'm
                        being a little harsh towards a book I enjoyed so much. But going over all
                        the information from the game, real life, and the other books, I can happily
                        say that I know for a fact that Zak, Morgan, Lal, Santiago, and Skye would
                        all have easily overwhelmed Miriam and the Hive had this been a more
                        realistic strategy on their part.

One final thing. Was there a message that the writer of this book was
                        trying to convey about Sciences vs Religion? I mean the religious people
                        were all single minded freaks who were practically without any thought
                        process other than to do what some invisible man told a woman who is barely
                        able to lead her follower much less feed them. The scientist stood for what
                        was good for the world, even if he did have to break a few rules along the
                        way. For instance, the ideal he made was against the law, but its just like
                        cloning in real life today. Eventually we will have to do it else perhaps
                        another country will do it before us, get far better at it, and destroy us
                        with it. Its just something that had to be done and it was with good
                        intentions that he did it. And as a final farewell, Zak even gave his
                        allies access to 200 year of paradise while Miriam dropped some nukes,
                        killed 20 million people at least with them, and millions more including her
                        own with the fact that mindworms were attacking and of course dirt would
                        block out the sun shortly. Selfish Miriam even knew she was destroying the
                        world yet pinned all of her efforts on the fact that she had a dream. That
                        dream killed her and maybe another hundred million people. So was this the
                        message that was trying to be sent here? Is the author trying to say that
                        religion is the wrong way to go while science is the correct way?
                        AMD4EVER

Comment

It really must be time for this thread to sink in shame and be "un-topped" or made less sticky (whatever the phrasiology is)!
                          (+1)

Comment

Maybe, but I'm still here! Just awaiting the day that I will get a reply to my post :P

Anyways, I'm writting a part 4 to the AC books. Hope to have it finished in the next month. Doubt many people will even read it but hey, I'm having fun anyways
                            AMD4EVER

Comment

Mr Ely,

First I am really enjoying your work. Your books are fun to read and follow the feel of the game very well.

Is there a chance any more novels based on this game might be coming soon? This world is so rich in possibilities that books would seem to have endless stories waiting to be written.

Edward

Comment

OK, as a complete newbie on this board I would like to ask a question.

Could someone please list all the book titles, author, and if possible ISBN Number.

Thanks

Spoot

Comment

Working...
                                X