Cool Base Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just an idea

If you tend to run out of base names often, try using the names of the elements. There are 109 officially named, so you should have plenty for most games.
    See the Visual Periodic Table of the Elements - neat stuff there.
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

That's pretty cool. I've taken a fancy to role-playing Yang as the Harkonnens from DUNE and using base names drawn from Brian Herbert's continuing series. They seem to fit together well.
      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasmaske

Be that as it may - Svobodny does mean free in Russian as well.
        Of course, as per "respublik svobodnykh"
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Academgorodok is a real city in southwestern Siberia, dedicated to science...

When the computer starts suggesting Alpha sectors etc... I start making up my own names. If nothing comes to mind, I start taking them from song titles from random records in my cd-shelf... I found the songs by In Flames' (a swedish death metal band...) first albums to work fine; Behind Space, Lunar Strain, Starforsaken, etc...

And of course, names inspired by real place names, or myths etc.. like Jotunheim, Kalevala...

When renaming conquered cities, I like to somehow "corrupt" the earlier names; New Jerusalem -> New Babylon, Morgan Industries -> (my name) Sindustries, University Base -> Punyversity... etc. Whatever comes to my mind.
          You make my life and times
          A book of bluesy Saturdays

Comment

i got a laugh a few days ago while playing Civ3. i had gotten through all the city names twice. the second time it uses "new" in front of the original name. of course after getting through that list, i ran into: Delhi 2 Calcutta 2, Madras 2 . etc... made me chuckle. of course i can't possible be bothered to make up my own base/city names

wonder if playing the americans you would end up with "New New York 2"

what? im at the SMAC forum? well son of a b*t...

Comment

Working...
            X