No announcement yet.

Cool Base Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasmaske: though I think you are right about most UoP names, being a Russian-English mix, I don't think it counts for Svobodny. To my knowledge Svobodny is a Russian space launch site in East Siberia, meant to replace Baikonur, which now lies in Kazachstan, in the future.

Ah I already suspected it was yours, Googlie. I hope you don't mind I deleted a few of the original list and added two of my own in it? Namely Concordia and Rationality's Reign.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

When playing SP games I usually goes with the original names but when I capture a base I always rename it.

Conquest Point

Miriam's prison (depends on which faction)

Hotel 666

Springfield

Casablanca

Tragic City (a favourite from my simcity 2000 contruction)

MyTown
      It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by M@ni@c
        Gasmaske: though I think you are right about most UoP names, being a Russian-English mix, I don't think it counts for Svobodny. To my knowledge Svobodny is a Russian space launch site in East Siberia, meant to replace Baikonur, which now lies in Kazachstan, in the future.
        Be that as it may - Svobodny does mean free in Russian as well.
        (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
          I think that Morgan and Peacekeepers have the most boring basenames
          Really? I can help you:
          Morgan Snroses
          Morgan Bebay (Lancashire)
          Guten Morgan (german)
          Morgan Antes (french)

U. N. Limited
          U. N. Willing
          U. N. Derdog
          Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Well, once it got into Alpha Sector, etc., I'll start making up base names. Ditto for captured bases and bases that are there solely to expand your borders

I'd have to say the best instance of creative base naming came from a game of Civ II MP. (I heard this secondhand.) One player (I think it was Carolus Rex) wandered into the territory of another player (possibly oedo), encountering the city of "Go Away". As CR's horseman retreated, he blundered into "Get Lost".

oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
              Morgan Fried Chicken

a lot of the hive names are just stupid. Social engineering den? what the hell? or the pirates' Drunktown. hmmm...

Comment

I think that some faction should use the city name New Earth. I mean, if you just came from there and its memory was fresh to you, isn't that the name you would use? Sometimes, playing as the Gaians, I change Gaia's Landing to New Earth, and call my second base Hatikva (Hebrew for "hope").

Also, where are the Morgan military bases? Morgan Armaments, Morgan Infantry, Morgan Logistics, Morgan Security, Morgan Nuclear Research, Morgan Weapons of the Apocalypse . . .
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

... U.N. Bureau of Lost Electricity Reclamation... Hmm. Darn. Too long. Doesn't fit.

Comment

Just had a chat with my wife who pointed out to thicky here that Zvedny Gorodok means - Star City - i.e. the place outside Moscow where Cosmonaughts train. Konstantin Tsoilkovskiy is known as the father of Russian aviation and worked on a lot of early jets.
                    (+1)

Comment

Oh? I thought Cosmograd meant Star City. Does it mean "Universe City" or "Space City" instead then?

Comment

Cosmograd is space city. Cosmos - space. Zvezda - star.
                        (+1)

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Comment

no charge
                            (+1)

Comment

1st.
                              When playing Morgan, of course you should use YOUR name in all the bases instead of Morgan's. Assuming that you did set your peronal leader nam instead of Morgan...

then....
                              of course whn I play SP I just don't boher: who sohuld I do it for - for the AI to read me?
                              When I play in a pbem, either I use a whole new set of names, or I go with the exisiting ones.
                              The most fun with basesnames in a pbem is when you conquer enemy bases and rename them.
                              I have see it done by JAMiAM, whose classic
                              Virgin Soil >> Soiled Virgin
                              still makes me chuckle when I think of it.
                              An I remember all the cute names he once gave to the dozen of lakes my PBs made in his territory

Recently, I conquered a Univ faction across the sea, playing Miriam, ad the conquered bases were named:
                              Letter to the Infidels
                              MoSe@RedSea (in that community my nick is MoSe...)
                              Egypt's Plagues
                              and the like (I could stil reopen that game's last turn to chek'em all...)

Or in a currently played very entertaining pbem, I have swarmed a Hive faction with my gaian copters...
                              People's Teeming - Teetotal Farming
                              The Hive - The Beecharmer
                              The Labyrinth - Garden Maze
                              Unification Cavern - Humidification Cave
                              Chairman's Burrow - Ploughman's Furrow
                              Industrial Crawling - at first I had no great Ideas, named it Dust Trail Cover, but than, after an in-game in-character joke, it became
                              Dee's Burning Bush (!)

and a combined one:
                              Watcher's Eye - Bird Watchers
                              then, later on, I conquered Spartan Shallows not so far from there, and called it of course
                              Sparrow & Swallow
                              And put even some graffiti near the bird watcher's base on the line of "Hey! Look! over there, near that island!"

oh, and what about when I finally rolled over a tough
                              Training Camp >> Train kills Campers...

That would be enough to make me prefer playing MP!

Ahh.. and do you know that when Sunspots block communications in a pbem, you can always rename basees to give (public) hints to the other players?

but beware, when you rename a base, the (linked) status of a node is allegedly reset, so that should make you able to link multiple artifacts in a single base, which would *obviously* be a cheat...
                              ___
                              EDIT:
                              erm... I had overlooked the "Go Away" & "Get Lost" when I wrote last comment about renaming bases... you already got the idea then. But I had even somethin in mind like "land here" or "Bware, invaders 4 to the W" directed to a pactmate...

and Lefty, in that in-game joke I was accused of having sent my PlayGaia paparazzi to take sneak pics of the Chairman's wife, so we had a run of posts joking about renaming Hive's bases in the name of his wife in the Hottub and the like - did you get the inspiration there, or just a coincidence?
                              Last edited by MariOne; February 3, 2002, 20:53.
                              I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

To bump a pointless thread with another pointless post:
                                Just having received SMAX I thought I'd play Cyborgs (who seem to be an awfully good ICS faction. Have to use a smaller map next time). OK, after passing through all premade names Alpha This, Beta That, and then another run through the greek alphabet with Alpha Sector, Beta Sector, I continued that way, because it was the most rational (faction specific). So Alpha Gardens, Beta Rose, Gamma Park, and so on, all names which reflect the vain attempt to reproduce the cosy warmth of a home in the names (Of course this is completely useless with rational people like Cyborgs, but when all other factions do so it certainly has some reason).
                                Of course I couldn't resist to names like Chi Nese.
                                Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Working...
                                X