No announcement yet.

Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Yxklyx, but it was actually me that discovered arty, not Yang. I just didn't notice and the design workshop snuck it onto my units, hence all of my units were arty and arty never completely destroys an enemy unit.

As for fungal towers, I patiently remove all of the fungus. Takes a long time, tho. I guess I will see what the artillery can do.
    "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
    "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
    - Pekka

Comment

I find Arty useful in the early to midgame, especially when I'm concentrating on economic techs and am being harrassed by an aggressive AI who has a lead in military techs, especially airpower. I can drive away those annoying Pirate foils, and destroy those probe filled transports, blast runaway worms, or stacks of ecoworms, and even take the wind out of needlejets that attack my bases. It fills a void until I get choppers and the AI is doomed.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Fitz

If you stick trance on an artillery unit, does it get +50% on psi defense in an artillery duel with a spore launcher?
        IIRC, yes.

Comment

Even low power artilery is very effective in crippling unarmored probe teams defending a base against probe action. Its reducing then to 10% making the easy kills in probe to probe combat.
          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I am experiencing the power of arty at the hands of the AI in a MP duel known as thunderdome (I replaced deimos in Thunderdome I). The map is such that there are a lot of 1 tile wide sea channels and strips of land. My rovers are under constant bombardment from arty which they cannot access by land as they go up the only land route to a certain destination

On one occasion my stack of 3 rovers and a probe team were bombarded 3 times, twice by one faction and once by another. They were weakened so much as to be ineffective and I retreated. THe only solutions I see are to get arty cover there or a transport so the rovers can get to their tormentors. It almost reminds me of the offshore spore launcher that never lands but plays havoc with your improvements.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Be interesting to see if the AI is effectively using those chokepoints as they are supposed to be used- chokepoints. This has been an interesting thread.

Comment

I doubt it was intentional but the AI was always hitting my units where the strip of land narrowed to 1 tile wide. How they could see me since it was a fungus tile and there are no sensors anywhere . . . well thats another issue.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                  I doubt it was intentional but the AI was always hitting my units where the strip of land narrowed to 1 tile wide. How they could see me since it was a fungus tile and there are no sensors anywhere . . . well thats another issue.
                  The Fungus hiding only applies to AI units and when you play against another human player. The AI ALWAYS sees your units. Unfair? You betcha. Can you do anything about it? Nope. Will someone please rewrite the AI in this game?

Comment

Of course, the reason that the cheats were added in the first place was that since the AI cannot utilize all the various complex functions of the game, they need help.

Other than guarding my early game improvements, my only use for Arty is bombarding enemy aircraft. They are immensely volnerable when they are in base.
                    "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

it is really annoying when A.I. crusiers start bombing my coastline, my trees, my forests. And I cannot do much damage to him with my artilleries.

Comment

Originally posted by k.k.fly
                        it is really annoying when A.I. crusiers start bombing my coastline, my trees, my forests. And I cannot do much damage to him with my artilleries.
                        If you can't hurt ships with your land based artillery (and its +50% bonus versus warships), you need to build better artillery units or maybe replace some of your doves with hawks.

Comment

Working...
                        X