Special Geographical Bonuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Geographical Bonuses

Do the special bonuses apply when the land or sea squares are lowered or raised? For instance, there's that new SMAX water location which is in the middle of the ocean and kind of useless for anyone other than the Pirates. Can it be raised and used?

I know for a fact that the Fossil Field Ridge doesn't keep its special bonus when raised, and the Great Dunes DO

I'm not sure about the others...
    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by SMAC Fanatic
      I know for a fact that the Fossil Field Ridge doesn't keep its special bonus when raised, and the Great Dunes DO
      To my recollect, at least the Pholus Ridge retains the bonus even if tinkered with. Haven't actually ever tried with, say, the Geothermal Shallows.

By the way, good addition to your earlier signature, SMAC Fanatic!
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Jungle - No, Uraniam Flats - No.

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember trying to raise the Jungle once to save it from global warming (the Angels, not me!) and it didn't work.

The Ruins does, I believe. Other than that, I can't remember right now.

Oh and kass, thanks
          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

if you nuke a monolith into the ocean (not sure if it works with normal lower with sea formers), then your sea units can use it

Comment

can't you just lower the terrain instead?

Comment

The ruins are just a colection of monoliths which are unafected by elevations changes. Like wise the borehole cluster does not disappear when raised, but you will notice the the intial slightly different appearance of the cluster boreholes change to regular borehole graphics when raised in elevation. The sunny mesa is just high land with no special bonus, and the dunes (with no special bonus) does not change either. The freshwater sea sea become land if you raise it one bracket, and it loes its bonus, The Jungle, Pholus Ridge, Fossil Ridge, Uranium Flats, and manifold nexus (the central square), lose their bonus if raies (but if you have solar collector on the pholus ridge it net with the elevation bonus increase).l
                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I read in some other thread that one could expand the inland sea by dredging around the shore (thus lowering adjacent previously dry land) as long as you didn't break through into the ocean. IIRC, it went on to describe how you could even expand into what had originally been the ocean if you first built up the ocean coastline to push it back and then submerged the land from the inland sea side (still maintaining a dry land separation between them). I don't know that this works, although I've been thiniking about trying it in a current game.

Regarding saving the jungle (or other stuff for that matter) from the floods, I've wondered whether raising the land all around the threatened territory would work. In other words, you would erect a ridge of 1000-1999m high tiles surrounding the endangered area. Assuming you raised a 0-999m tile adjacent to the special area tile (also in the 0-999m range) it would not cause the special area tile to be raised and so should not cause it to lose its special properties. First, while it wouldn't necessarily raise the special area tile above 1000, it might cause it to change somewhat, as there appears to be a bit of a rearrangement of heights whenever you change a neighboring tile. This might happen to save a tile from a small flood by moving it up slightly, but the real question is whether this **** would protect the low lying land behind it or would the flood ignore it and just create an atoll/doughnut formation?

Regarding the monoliths, I can say for sure that monoliths submerged by either global warming or nukes are still usable (and quite nice) as sea monoliths. As for doing it yourself with a sea former, I am pretty sure that works, but I can't remember for sure whether or not I ever actually did it.

Comment

I believe the flooding algorithm only looks at the elevation of the square so building walls of higher terrain wouldn't stop low elevation terrain from flooding. The water just seeps up through the sandstone-like ground.

Comment

I don't think the adjacent ridge idea will save the jungle. In an earlier thread I learned of a concept called "washing" which if i understand correctly works like this. There is an sealevel rise which would submerge your low elevation jungle squares but the game will not permit the square to REMAIN below sealevel since there are adjacent 1000m+ squares. So on the fateful year the square drops below sealevel for a moment and loses all jungle attributes, terraforming and units before the tectonic forces realign and the square has a positive elevation once more. You never see the square below sealevel but there is almost a flash flood effect

I had this happen to me once over multiple squares. I opened a turn to find that not only had the jungle disappeared but so had all my terraforming and formers over a 4 or 5 square area.

The moral for me is that if the searises are serious, there may be no way to save the jungle bonus but by pulling at the highest points on your land mass, you can keep the elevations high enough that none of your improved land will be even temporarily submerged and lost.
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

On random maps I play, the Freshwater Sea usually ends up being covered by land (bug?). If I sink the land would I get the benefit?

Comment

Have you tried it to see?
                          (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by Yxklyx
                            On random maps I play, the Freshwater Sea usually ends up being covered by land (bug?). If I sink the land would I get the benefit?
                            This is confusing for me.

Apparently different rigs have different bugs, but I have never before heard of this one. Can anybody else verify that it happens? If it happened 'occasionally' I would suspect a AI pod pop leading to a ground raising earthquake. But that wouldn't cover 'usually'.

Anytime I have tried to lower ground below sea level I have always gotten the message that the former could lower no more, use a sea former instead. Enlarging existing seas or oceans is easy, but is there a special trick for creating a new sea I don't know about?

Comment

No More Freshwater Sea

This is with the latest version of SMAX. I loaded up a whole bunch of games and I can't find the Freshwater Sea (under land or not) in any of them. Here are some examples of when it's under land. The last one is a brand new game on a huge planet (went to scenario mode):

I've been playing with Pods off lately too so it can't be earthquakes. It's been so long I don't even remember what it looks like.

When you lower the land you don't get the nutrient bonus.

Comment

Working...
                              X