No announcement yet.

Constant Nuke fests.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blake's post raised a question in my mind. Is it even possible to PB a base that has no troops in it whatsoever. I remember playing SP and being unable to nervegas an Alien base out of existence since there were no more defenders. Does this work the same for PB? Specifically is it possible to PB a base or a point of land without having a unit to hit

I am thinking that this would have some interesting consequences IF it is the case. Empty out your crucial Special Project base of defenders and make sure that the base is outside the blast area of the nearest unit.

It should only be done with a base with an aerocomplex (and area coverage by other bases as well) or out of range of enemy drop troops , and you would have to have good radar control of your periphery to prevent a locust or gravship taking your base (and possibly obliterating it that way).

So would this work?

My preferred strategy is to be as noble as possible and make sure I have a couple of forward bases close to each of the other factions such that the PB has to come in range of my choppers before it gets itself in range of any of my GOOD bases. If the AI wants to PB these outlying bases well so be it.

My other preferred strategy is simply distance. Particularly easy to do if you get a pole start. If your empire is deep enough in all directions there is no way a PB should hit your crucial interior bases. . . .can't hit what it can't reach
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Integrity isn't involved, because I was noble (no atrocities, backstabbing at all) before the first PB was thrown by the PK's. Even after that I kept myself 'noble' insofar that no treaties were broken - I just launched multiple nukes back. Before long I was faithfull, then all of a sudden I was wicked. Might have had something to do with the nerve stapling programme I had to undertake after losing the HGP. I know that by the end of the game I had something like 1000+ years of sanctions against me, and some of the AI factions weren't all that far behind.

I never launch the first PB. Usually Yang is the first, and the Hive seems to be the major AI faction in all my SMAC games. Not building any PB's might be a good idea. I've also noticed that the initial target tends to have a PB sitting in reserve. I don't think I've ever been nuked whilst having none myself. I'll take off Iron Man and try to get a 'before' and 'after' save of the start of a nuke war.
      Three words :- Increase your medication.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
        Blake's post raised a question in my mind. Is it even possible to PB a base that has no troops in it whatsoever. I remember playing SP and being unable to nervegas an Alien base out of existence since there were no more defenders. Does this work the same for PB? Specifically is it possible to PB a base or a point of land without having a unit to hit
        Leaving your bases empty is one of the best defenses against PB's (perfect defense against AI's). You would want your bases to be inland, because coastal bases are too easy to unload troops into. Then just staff forward Airbases and Bunkers with various defenders. The AI will never be able to PB you. And if you eliminate the use of crawlers & formers in your empire a human player wouldn't have anything to aim at either.

Note: If your particullary determined to detonate a PB at a certain location you can release a native there and PB it, Locusts and sealurks would be the best to use.

Comment

Although if I could get a locust that near an enemy base I might also be able to capture the base and then obliterate it . The big important base is gone and The PB can toast some other objective. Of course given range restrictions perhaps 2 squares away is as close as I could get and then your tactic could have a remarkable effect.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

The *main* use is to target a point between two or more cities, to get more "bang for your buck" from planetbusters. This isn't an issue to me, because usually I like to use as many planetbusters as possible.

Comment

I believe there is some confusion about missle targets, specifically PB. the past several posts seem to indicate that a PB (missle) must target a unit or base. am I just missing something here???

just last night Yang declared war on me, so I flew over a few fungal missles to take out his high-production mines and slow his reinforcement output. since there was no unit present, I used the "I" keyboard command, or ->Action->Detonate Payload command. bang, fungus ATE three of his mines. I believe this works for all missles, even PBs.
              TeknoMerc

Comment

Never tried that TeknoMerc. It was only when I realised fungal payloads couldn't actually target bases that I discovered the use of detonation. I suppose that's one reason why fletchett defences cover a 3 square radius - but don't singularity PB's have a 4 square area affect?

Must try this out.
                Three words :- Increase your medication.

Comment

well..... it's been a while since I detonated a PB, but I believe it devastates a 6x6 square area and lowers all terrain around it too. since I'm at work now, I cannot do a quickie test. can anyone else describe the PB blast effect???
                  TeknoMerc

Comment

I believe it depends on the size of the reactor; the craterlakes might be 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 & 4x4 with lesser damage surrounding. The AI doesn't always bother to upgrade PB reactors from the smallest levels, so those are the ones you see the most.

Comment

Working...
                    X