Best/Worst SP Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/Worst SP Video

What's your favorite/least favorite SP quick flick? I like the Longetivity Vaccine and its format . Pretty fast one, but it makes up for it with a little humor. The quote's a tad on the bad side, IMO. The worst one to me, as far as I can remember, is probably the Citizen's Defense Force... nothing overly good about it and I don't like the art. Seemed rushed.

What's your take?

Re: Best/Worst SP Video

Originally posted by SMACed
    What's your favorite/least favorite SP quick flick? ... The worst one to me, as far as I can remember, is probably the Citizen's Defense Force... nothing overly good about it and I don't like the art. Seemed rushed. What's your take?
    The artist probably had to get out of there in a hurry, because the defenders weren't going to be able to hold back the mindworms...
    Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

My favorite is (yes, I know I'm probably being cliche) the Hunter Seeker Algorithm, with Nano Factory and Living refinery being close seconds. My least favorite is probably The Virtual World. I don't know why, that's just the way it is. I actually like the CDF video. I think the art is very appropriate for the voiceover, which I also thought was pretty cool.
      "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
      "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

My least favourite is the Vats. It seems sort of two dimentional in spots. And the poor guy who has to sort all the chicks all day to split up the future hens from roosters...what a tedious job.

My favourite might just be the Manifold Harmonics or the Nethack. Those two are easily the SPs I have completed the least often, so their main merit is that I don't have either one memorized.

Comment

My fave is, of course, the Longevity Vaccine video I like the Voice of Planet video, as well. And that Cloning Vats video... disturbs... me every time I watch it. I like the Dream Twister video, as well
          oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

I have taken to playing with the SP movies off, but will turn them back on the the construction of Dream Twister, Self-Aware Colony, Cloning Vats, and HSA. Close seconds on the "favorites" list is Cloudbase Academy, Space Elevator, and Bulk Matter Transmitter for good animation.

Least faves are Planetary Datalinks, Neural Amplifier. Many of the "planet" ones, like the Pholus Mutagen and Weather Paradigm, I thought could've been better at capturing the sense of an alien world.

Comment

Believe it or not, I've always been a big fan of the Weather Paradigm...that and the Transcendence movie.

Comment

Now that I think about it, the Cloudbase movie is actually pretty good. I can't remember its quote (and I just watched it... ), but I was still really impressed with it.

Looks like the opinions are pretty varied. That's probably a good sign, Firaxis spent a lot of work on each of them.
                Last edited by Wiglaf; July 19, 2001, 10:54.

Comment

I think Firaxis needs to make a full-length movie about Alpha Centauri, completely done in Computer Graphics.

Comment

That'd be neat. I don't think they can, though, because they are a fairly small company making some pretty big titles at the moment. Busy people.

They'd have to sell the rights, and given the fact that there are a ton of game to movie productions, Alpha Centauri might not stand out. On top of that, making a plot with a game like SMAC could be difficult.

Anything's possible, though

Comment

I think the best SP videos are the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm, the Empath Guild and the Cloudbase Academy. The Neural Amplifier and the Command Nexus aren't bad either.

The ones I don't like are the Dream Twister (waaay too freakish), the Self-Aware Colony (I hate the idea but can see it happening all too soon) and the Space Elevator - dull!
                      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

My favorite is the Cloudbase Academy.

My least is the Xenoempathy Dome with is just the portrait of Dedrie with a rather dull speech. But, if that had ben a full body nude portrait, ...
                        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

think the best SP videos are the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm, the Empath Guild and the Cloudbase Academy. The Neural Amplifier and the Command Nexus aren't bad either.

The ones I don't like are the Dream Twister (waaay too freakish), the Self-Aware Colony (I hate the idea but can see it happening all too soon) and the Space Elevator - dull!
                          The empath guild was mostly portraits to me. As for the dream twister, yeah, that is probably the weirdest thing I've seen in a computer game. The space elevator and SA colony are pretty neat, IMO.

And Lefty, the Dome is more than just a picture of Deidre's head, it's also got a lot of little fungus things. And you play just a bit too much

Comment

The SP movie I like, and apeals to my 'peaceful' (if I was peaceful, why am I even playing SMAC?) ideology, is the Planetary Datalinks. Maybe also because it realy apeals to the real world.

The worst SP video, pour moi, is when someone builds the Ascend to Transcendance before you. Partly because THAT pisses me off
                            ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
                            ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

Originally posted by SMACed

And you play just a bit too much
                              oxymoron.
                              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                              X