Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asteroid strikes: Ouch, that really hurts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asteroid strikes: Ouch, that really hurts!

In my current game, playing a custom faction
    (with + 2 morale, -2 growth and -2 economy), all went well until 2300. I was leading in tech, had made Aki my Pet, and Domai was the only opponent worth to speak of.
    But then, an asteroid strikes into the center of my empire .
    It destroyed my headquarter and several more bases in the heart of my empire, with all seven secret projects! I lost the HGP (ouch!), the Virtual World (ouch!), the Empath Guild (ouch!), the HSA (ouch!), Planetary transit (ouch!), the Marine Control Center (ouch!) and the Supercollider (ouch!). My tech rate went down to 28 turns per tech!
    Luckily, all my good troops were far away at the borders to the drones. Nethertheless, it took 30 turns to repair most of the damage. But now, it looks better again . A new headquarter is established in the best remaining base and currently building the Theory of Everything, bases have been founded in the new Garland Crater, tech rate has increased to a reasonable 6 turns per tech (and I still have the tech lead), and vanguard of my forces is approaching the heart of Domais empire
    Looks like this game can still be won.

I've always hated when the random events are on. Another reason to turn them off.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I had a game where I had three asteroid strikes: Two took out my satellites. One hit my most productive base. However, only one SP was lost.

Long ago I learned to distribute my SP's around to avoid disasters and PB. The only exception is my science base, which typically is my HQ.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Ouch indeed!
        I've had asteroid strikes on Nessus Prime, and solar storms destroying all energy collection satellites, but never an asteroid strike on Planet itself, not even on maps not containing the Garland Crater.
        "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

I've SEEN Asteroid Strikes on AI in my games. But I've never lost one.

If you don't like the NASTIEST of the random events, but like the rest, play Pirates. There are only a few events that can actually affect a water base.
          -Darkstar
          (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Just after I wrote the above post, I got an Asteroid strike. It took out three of my bases and the Maritime Control. Suddenly, I am back in the pack on the power meter. Sven calls a council meeting and I am voted out!

Such is life.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Just out of curiousity, were you guys running much eco-damage when these asteroid strikes occurred? I ask because neither kind of strike has ever happened to me over many games (I rarely run any ecodamage), while one of my friends got several hits on Nessus Prime over the course of one game (he was causing so much ecodamage the world was flooding).

Comment

Basil, I don't recall whether at the time of the strike I was running ED; however, it is my pattern to keep all my bases in low ED to have an occasional pop until I get Tree Farms. This is a method of increasing clean minerals, one per pop.

But this is one hell of a way to get rid of the top mineral base on Planet.

Ned

Comment

I have never seen an asteroid strike a base, either mine or the AI's or in multiplayer. I wonder if eavy eco-damage is triggering this for some people.
                  Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
                  http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

It was probably the magnetic attraction of all those extra minerals Ned was producing.

Comment

Damn!

I have had a base hit but nothing like that.

Spreading out SPs is a good idea either way.
                      My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                      from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                      --MarkG

and by MikeH
                      she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

Johnd, I think you have a point there. The bases that were hit at the time were my highest producing mineral bases. They were probably also running positive ED.

The next time this happens, I will compare before and after and report back.

I have had the Volcano go off a lot as well. However, in contrast with the Asteroid Strike, it does not seem to produce ten years of dust clouds. Maybe I haven't seen the really big volcano.

I also have not see the seaborne disasters mentioned. This could be because I typically do not play the Pirates. However, whenever I do play the Pirates, I typically am not the leading faction for much of the game.

Ned

Comment

Never been hit by asteroid too...

Had one on my sats, once. But never seen one get to the planet's surface...
                          -----
                          Long live THE HIVE!

Comment

I've never had asteroid strikes, nor have I had solar flares or hailstorms. What I frequently get is bumper crops, which are bad in that I'm unprepared for a pop boom, and drones are yelling all over the place.
                            Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                            Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                            "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

Guys, If the reason you are not getting strikes is because you are controlling ED, you may be controlling it too much. It is critical to have at least one pop before you begin building Tree Farms etc. Otherwise, you do not get their "clean mineral" benefit. As well, pops by themselves add to clean minerals and generate worms which you can harvest for money. You just have to keep ED down enough so that you do not trigger Global Warming.

Comment

Working...
                              X