No announcement yet.

Victory Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably by far the easiest way to win, and my personal favorite, is economic. All you have to do is stockpile cash. Free market, and the planet is yours.

Comment

No way, diplomatic is by far the easiest. Just bribe them with tech to vote for you. I use diplomatic when I get tried of a game and want to end it in one turn.
      "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
      "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
      "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
      "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Hey Livid, in which difficult you can bribe the AI with techs to make then vote for you for Diplomatic Victory? I think I have a lot to learn about diplomatic victory, because in transcend level the computer insists that "that matter is far too importante for me to change my opinion", no matter how many techs and / or EC´s I give to then!! oh go to hell that aI!

Comment

the computer never votes for me. But I'm stingy with my techs, and they seem to remember this.

Comment

Launch your fungal missiles Lady Hong!

Teach them that the Gaians aren't so pacifist as everyone thinks they are!
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmic
              Hey Livid, in which difficult you can bribe the AI with techs to make then vote for you for Diplomatic Victory?
              I most often play Thinker, but I have done diplomatic victories at Transcend as well. It usually involves 3 good techs, so you need to have a tech edge over the AI. Other tricks to diplomatic victory are give the AI all kind of goodies to pact with you. Then they will (usually) vote for you without bribes at the voting table. If you are afraid the AI will trade one of your tech away, then hold the bride off for the voting table and offer the techs at the same time to all. As usual, SE choices will have a lot to do with the AI voting for you. Pick SE that will put you in favor with the AI opponents which have the most votes and run for 10+ more years to give the AI time to warm up to you. And of course, more agressive factions will tend to never vote for you, but you dont need them all, just 75% of the votes.
              You can also use ec to bride for votes, but the AI's demands just seems to scale with the amount of ec you have (one of my biggest irritations with AC) so bringing huge amount of cash to the table just means everyone will want more, so don't bother.
              I admit, this is a lot harder to pull off in Transcend, but then again everything is harder to pull off in Transcend.
              Last edited by livid imp; April 29, 2004, 12:42.
              "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
              "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
              "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                Launch your fungal missiles Lady Hong!

Teach them that the Gaians aren't so pacifist as everyone thinks they are!
                You are in wrong faction Franky. You should come to us. There is a true Gaian spirit there.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I wonder if this poll result has changed with time. There seem to be very few momentum players playing SMAX now, whereas a few years ago there were many more. Certainly militaristically, chop and drop was invented ages ago, yet there seem to have been very few modifications/alterations to that, or indeed new strategies.

I wonder if SMAX MP is weaker for their loss. Perhaps they all got bored and went to play quake. Or I could be completely wrong...

C
                  Play hangman.

Comment

Funny, I got bored with FPSs and came back to SMAX.

Most of your war gamers probably did move on to other games with a more war focus. The people that stayed would likely have a more builder focus. There is no other game out there that emphises the builder side that way SMAX does. If all you are concerned with is fighting without having to think about crawlers, unit design or social engineering, you probably left for Civ3 long ago.

If you want to see more development on the military side, turn off the other victory conditions in MP games. Force a military solution.

Comment

In MP SMAX, having a modest military is a great way to build. One 3 player game in particular, I was Zak and started with 1 human and 2 computer neighbors. I took advantage of my tech lead to steamroll my comp neighbors (Santiago and Yang) and then forced my human neighbor to give me some tech to help me jump right back into building. I maintained a military edge on him, ensuring my securiity, and ended up claiming every important late-game SP against two human opponents.
                      "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                      -BBC news

Comment

Hey Livid thanks for the hints, I´ll make more efforts to put then in practice (because actually when the computer doesnt vote for me I just go there and buy the world or build the Ascent to Transcendence, to show my vengeance!)

Comment

I wonder if this poll result has changed with time. There seem to be very few momentum players playing SMAX now, whereas a few years ago there were many more. Certainly militaristically, chop and drop was invented ages ago, yet there seem to have been very few modifications/alterations to that, or indeed new strategies.

I wonder if SMAX MP is weaker for their loss. Perhaps they all got bored and went to play quake. Or I could be completely wrong...
                          Chaunk!
                          Youre completely wrong!
                          SMAX offers much more adrenaline than Quake as it has way more opportunities!

And about that builder/momentum thing - If I play SP or MP TCP/IP I choose Momentum/Hybrid quite often, depending on my mood..
                          But PBEM kills that momentum mood!
                          Instead, I can think much more on build and research orders..
                          If fighting there's not much to think - few crawlers, chaos copter or whatever and gogogo! It relies more on instinct than building..

Who cares,Chaunk come in ICQ, search for binTravkin, schedule a game with me and see a REEEL Momentum!
                          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I'd love to, but alas, I haven't time to do an IP game. And in SP, I almost always play a momentum faction, purely because I build a lot. It increases the challenge...

Hows about a head to head PBEM to show me REEEL momentum? They have a completely different feel to a larger MP game... We could even do two, one momentum vs builder, the other builder vs momentum (If that makes sence?) Up for the challenge?

C
                            Play hangman.

Comment

well I just discovered momentum recently when I played the believers. Very powerful faction (although they can be dependant on having someone like the University start next to them). Starting next to the hive isn't all that useful.

But this isn't really a war game, I still think it is possibly the best builder TBS game created. Other games like civ3 you just can't win without going to war. Even at the low levels (with the possible exception of chieftan). But this game you can win without ever going to war- although I haven't tested that at thinker and transcend levels. I usually get in at least 1 major war.

So depending on which faction I play, I can play either way. And often times I play as a hybrid.

Comment

I agree with you, Dissident, SMAC is the best game for war strategies AND build strategies. In games like colonization, civilization, call to power etc its not possible to win using money or voting, and yes, its possible to win in SMAC without even going in one single war, because I only play that way so its my personal example. I just build my way sharing technologies and money to prevent war, going for a transcendence or economic or diplomatic victory, and I only play in transcendence level.

Comment

Working...
                                X