No announcement yet.

Land transport/air probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that I have tried it, but perhaps with enough morale+ modifiers using SE the transport can be made elite. I haven't used the scenario editor at all, so no ideas there.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

There is no reason whatever to build a speeder transport. They will have the same movement as an infantry based equivalent in all circumstances.
      What about for the prototype morale bonus?
      Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
        Not that I have tried it, but perhaps with enough morale+ modifiers using SE the transport can be made elite. I haven't used the scenario editor at all, so no ideas there.
        The points regarding upgrade are important to note just as Sik et. al. suggestions to proto new armors to get the elite rating. In the late midgame, Santi should be producing elites in bases with command centers and bioenhancement centers. Like wise other factions can achieve the same by running Fundy/?/Knowledge or simply ?/?/power assuming they are not Gaians with a morale penalty.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Patashu

What about for the prototype morale bonus?
          1 (infantry chassis) - 1 (transport module) = 1 (minimum movement rate) + 1 (elite) = 2

2 (rover chassis) - 1 (transport module) = 1 (minimum movement rate) +1 (elite) =2

As a unit cannot ever have a movement less than 1 the infantry chassis manages to be the only one that doesn't lose anything by adding a transport module due to the order of the equation, as elite status is added last.

The prototype morale bonus (in conjunction with several others) will allow most factions to produce elite transports. The Spartans don't need the prototype bonus to do this, while the Gaians must run Power in addition. One might as well produce the cheaper infantry version vs the more expensive rover type until the hovertank chassis becomes available.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Ah, guys, lets think about it. Why waste time building a transport unit when you could just build two speeder units. Yeah, infantry get attack bonuses on bases, and are relatively cheaper, but really, all the AI has to do is attack the transport. By the time you build the speeder transport, you could have like two recon rovers or something instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
              Ah, guys, lets think about it. Why waste time building a transport unit when you could just build two speeder units. Yeah, infantry get attack bonuses on bases, and are relatively cheaper, but really, all the AI has to do is attack the transport. By the time you build the speeder transport, you could have like two recon rovers or something instead.
              I use drop transports to move units which are too complicated or too expensive to give the Drop attribute to individually. For instance Clean - Super formers moving from my home continent to an enemy continent which I am attacking in order to build roads or mag tubes etc.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                Its rather simple.

In terms of mins.

Say you are considering an impact weapn era.

You can have three units (2 x 4-1-1 and an infantry transport NEVER a speeder transport) all at 2 rows of mins each comparably speaking verses 2 units at 3 rows of mins each (2 x 4-1-2).

Now youare going to pay an additioanl min ins supprt costs but have gone through 3 build cycles so you have an extra stockpile energy to your credit. In my mind relatively a wash.

In terms of actual usage.

If you are attacking along a road, against a base take an impact rover case. You move into poistion say expending 1/3 or 2/3 movement points. You attack win but are damage to the point where you no longer have any moves left. You can not retreat. You instead are open to counter attack.

Same case now with a 4-1-1. You load up the 4-1-1 into the tranpsort move 1/3 or 2/3 movement points along the road. Attack (at a 25% attack bouns of infantry vs. base btw) and win taking much less damge due to the 25% attack bonus. If said 4-1-1 is not elite its movemnt is expended. BUT you reactivate the unit hit "L" and then activate the transport and remove it from fray and thus moving it to safety away from counter attack.

One other point, Now you have a slightly damage 4-1-1 that requires some healing. Next turn (turn 1), You can transport it to the nearest base and then hit the space bar for an immediate heal. Contrast that, If you didn't have the transport you would have to move the unit to the base by itselef (turn 1) and then hit space on turn 2 in order to begin the healing process.

In terms of mins teh optimal advantage swings to transports around missile tech. 6-1-1's still run you 2 rows of mins whilst 6-1-2 run 4 rows of mins IIRC.
                During this era you can force build much quicker using transports and infantry grunts than you can speeders.

I've written on this subject a number of times. Land trasnports have functionality in any game phase. 'Prolly least effecitve during D:AP but pick up effectivity (again) with discovery of MMI as a niche unit once they are made drop capable.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

So I take it you drop them with a unit loaded then?
                  Nice tactic
                  No attack penalty for a dropped infantry attacker, and no 20% damage because of the attack.
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                    So I take it you drop them with a unit loaded then?
                    Nice tactic
                    No attack penalty for a dropped infantry attacker, and no 20% damage because of the attack.
                    Nope not quite. Transported units end up being stalled for a turn.

No realisticallly I use them in order to aquire far flung pods. I take either a colony pod or a former and drop to a non touched continent with pods. The intent is to hopefully get an Alien Artifact. The colony pod either sets up a new base or the former creates an air base. Either of whcih are required in order to create a return ticket for the transport with AA in tow hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                    X