Land transport/air probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land transport/air probe

Transport "ability" subtracts one movement point from chasis. Thus Transport Speeder has only 1 movement point. We cannot have then APC on speeder chasis fast like 2 units per turn then. Is there any remedy for that? Do we need hoovertank to make better speeds with infantry transports?

I seem to be unsuccesful in creating air probe needlejet. No U2 in SMAX?
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Hmm...could you make a hovertank transport custom unit in the alpha.txt file and set it's requirement to Docterine: Mobility?
    Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

Comment

That is a possibility. But how about "old-style" troop transporter on wheels, which would be faster than marching soldiers? this is what i miss here
      Mart
      Map creation contest

Comment

An elite-level transport will have 2 movement points.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

An infantry or a speeder transport?

Comment

Presumably Skanky means an elite speeder transport (although it is a bit difficult to get one to be elite, as they don't get monolith upgrades and I t don'tthink that they can be given the 'trained' attribute).

Aircraft probes can be made with a little judicious messing around with the Alpha(x).txt file. IIRC, there were some strange rules in using them, like your a/c probe needed to start its turn in a sea tile to be able to probe a sea base (and land for land). Aircraft probes seem way too powerful, but perhaps if they were available, we would develop a standard strategy to counter them (like lots of probe defenders and interceptors - if they work against probeplanes, or maybe probeinterceptorplanes if you had NG). It probably doesn't hurt to give the AI some probeplanes though (and you don't have to enable human-player use of them to be able to predesign some probe aircraft with the appropriate stuff enabled right in their unit definition to give to the AI players.

Comment

You can always make a custom made rover transport with the grav stuts ability flagged, and put it in the basic units list. That gives you 2 moves for sure then.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

In order to get more movement from my land transports I have built them as prototypes for all of my new armor types. With all of the boni for facilities they just squeek into the elite category. As they have no weapon they can't be trained, nor can they upgrade at a monolith.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by johndmuller
                  Presumably Skanky means an elite speeder transport (although it is a bit difficult to get one to be elite, as they don't get monolith upgrades and I t don'tthink that they can be given the 'trained' attribute).
                  Infantry chassis elite transports yield two movement point.

Speeder chassis elite transports similarly yield two movement points.

There is no good compelling reason to put a transport onto a speeder chassis as all it does is add cost with no discernible performance difference. (Although I do wonder if a speeder chassis elite transport would retreat in the open)

The points regarding upgrade are important to note just as Sik et. al. suggestions to proto new armors to get the elite rating. In the late midgame, Santi should be producing elites in bases with command centers and bioenhancement centers. Like wise other factions can achieve the same by running Fundy/?/Knowledge or simply ?/?/power assuming they are not Gaians with a morale penalty.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Do prototypes get a morale boost then?
                    Last edited by Dansz; April 16, 2004, 11:22.

Comment

Yep. 1 morale level boost.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Didn't know transports got movement penalties. Really, though, why make a speeder transport?

Comment

To move infantry units directly to the gates of an enemy base so it's movement is not lost in that same turn. And if you have a transport with two movements (elite or grav struts, whatever) it can come as a complete surprise from outside the base view.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                            Didn't know transports got movement penalties. Really, though, why make a speeder transport?
                            There is no reason whatever to build a speeder transport. They will have the same movement as an infantry based equivalent in all circumstances.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              An elite-level transport will have 2 movement points.
                              Skanky, I tried to make an elite transport in scenario editor and it defaulted always to Commando. I was never able to see those 2 movement poits. How to do it? How to boost morale of a transport unit? let mindworms bite it ???
                              Mart
                              Map creation contest

Comment

Working...
                              X