rise of nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rise of nations

I think that alpha centauri is better than rise of nations. It is more complicated.

I agree.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I concur.

anything else we need to add?

RON is a RTS game after all. Putting the level of complication SMAC has into that game would be quite a challenge.

It's nice you can assign orders while paused. But I always forget to pause the game . And I always forget to update my builds and such. This was in the demo mind you, I never bought the game because I suck at RTS for this reason.

Comment

Games aren't meant to be paused. And I personally think that the reason that brain is so unfamous is that he's things are too complicated like lisa simpson(or that's what she is supposed to be) I am one of his kind of person. who dosen't care about profit but his own imagenary mintness.

Comment

Shouldn't this thread be in the "Other Games" thread or the RoN?
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

No. It glorifies SMAC over RoN. SMAC rules
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I was wondering if RoN was any good. Well, if it doesn't blow away SMAC, then it is not good enough.

Signed,
              Rabid Fundamentalist SMAC Fan
              Last edited by livid imp; April 12, 2004, 12:42.
              "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
              "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
              "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
              "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Originally posted by d=me
                Games aren't meant to be paused.
                Pah. That's the biggest gripe I have about RTS games- clickety clickety clickety all the live-long day. I can think about a half-dozen RTS games off the top of my head that would be way better with a good pause function.
                "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay Pah. That's the biggest gripe I have about RTS games- clickety clickety clickety all the live-long day.
                  RTS favors players with reflexes. Turn-based favor intelligent, introspective players.

Choose and perish!

but now that I know that RoN is RTS it lost my interest.
                  "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
                  "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
                  "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
                  "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

yes but you can pause and issue orders. It's less based on reflexes than most rts games.

The problem is the computer does much of it for you. You just build a whole bunch of units, and I think the computer arranges the formations pretty much (although in the demo I think I had to position the supply wagons so they weren't in the front). So really it's all about superior firepower and numbers.

Well so is SMAC to a lesser extent. But I like to think there's a little more strategy

Comment

I dunno. I quite liked RoN. It made for some interesting gaming and fairly intelligent RTS activity.

Then again, I'm not prepared to pay $50 for it. I might search for it on eBay.
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Yea RTS and TBS are 2 totally different styles of play. It just depends on what type of mood I'm in. If I'm in a hyper clicky mood, I'll go RTS or FPS. If I want a more laid back "intelligent" game, I'll go TBS.

Comment

And the more I think about, the more preposterous I think empire RTS games are.

I can understand doing real time for small tactical battles. That makes sense. But the president of the U.S. never has seconds to make a decision- he can plan for days, or weeks, or months. Nothing happens that fast on a global scale (except maybe a nuclear war)

Comment

Originally posted by livid imp
                            I was wondering if RoN was any good. Well, if it doesn't blow away SMAC, then it is not good enough.

Signed,
                            Rabid Fundamentalist SMAC Fan
                            I concur.

Signed,
                            Un-diseased Democratic/Green/Knowlegdable/Eudaimonic SMAC/X Fan.

Trithemius
                            ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              And the more I think about, the more preposterous I think empire RTS games are.

I can understand doing real time for small tactical battles. That makes sense. But the president of the U.S. never has seconds to make a decision- he can plan for days, or weeks, or months. Nothing happens that fast on a global scale (except maybe a nuclear war)
                              Yep. It tends to be for players who need the clock ticking to keep them tense I guess. It also tends to be used in games which mix scales in order to allow the player to personally command tactical action while they are president of the U.S. This can be done fairly well (Total War series) using a mix of RTT (real time tactical) and TBS.

Civ (and most of its offspring) used a terrible method of fighting operational battles on the strategic map using tactical units. This is why World War Two would take a hundred years to play out in Civ time, as units have tactical movement allowances in a game with grand strategic turn lengths.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X