No announcement yet.

Gravtanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, rather they drop bombs that land and then launch missiles. It makes as much sense as laser artillery.
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor
      Originally posted by Skanky Burns (called SAM for some reason)
      It should be called AAM, I mean are the incerceptors on ground when they engage enemy craft?
      Easy to change. In alphax.txt, under #ABILITIES, change:
      Air Superiority, 1, DocAir, SAM, 000000001111, Attacks air units
      to:
      Air Superiority, 1, DocAir, AAM, 000000001111, Attacks air units

You'll need to suspend reality half the time either way, because SAM is Surface-to-Air Missile and AAM is Air-to-Air Missile, although AAM could mean Anti-Aircraft Missile.
      I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

really there is no reason not to use better units as they become available. I guess if you had an enourmous army of rovers you could just continue to upgrade them. Which is what I normally do. but any new units I design utilize the better design. Why not use them?

As for interceptors, I use them all the time. To knock out enemy interceptors (because I get annoyed when they take out my penetrators). I only use aircraft versions. I never thought about giving SAM ability to land units- they just don't have enough movement. It takes so long to get neural grafting, and I have more important abilities to add-on. Even with neural grafting I still have too many things I'd rather have than SAM ability for a land unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
          No, rather they drop bombs that land and then launch missiles. It makes as much sense as laser artillery.
          Laser artillery just needs to use carefully positioned mirrors... er... or something...
          Trithemius
          ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
            How is an extra tile moved each turn NOT good?
            And by the time you can make them your industry should be strong enough to churn them out fast AND you should be able to ensure that they are Elite (if you are playing a belligerent game with +MORALE effects) - four tiles of movement a turn.
            Trithemius

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              As for interceptors, I use them all the time. To knock out enemy interceptors (because I get annoyed when they take out my penetrators). I only use aircraft versions. I never thought about giving SAM ability to land units- they just don't have enough movement. It takes so long to get neural grafting, and I have more important abilities to add-on. Even with neural grafting I still have too many things I'd rather have than SAM ability for a land unit.
              Does anyone use ground units with the Air Superiority ability?
              Trithemius

Comment

SAM Rovers to get the Needlejets the AI sent over but ran out of movement points one-two-three spaces from the base.
                I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj
                  SAM Rovers to get the Needlejets the AI sent over but ran out of movement points one-two-three spaces from the base.
                  Seems like a "niche-role" to me.
                  Trithemius

Comment

I suppose if your land units were too far from your own bases and you don't have carrier decks yet.

I almost was in this situation. My land units were far from home. But once you get that first city you can station your air units there (provided you can get there in 2 turns)

Still it doesn't seem worth it to build sam land units. I just go in with a strong enough land force that can sustain a few casualties to enemy needlejets. I sometimes like to use AAA ability for my units, although that usually waits until after neural grafting. I usually do comm jammer before AAA.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj
                      You don't build enough roads / mag tubes. With mag tubes a very small number can wreak havoc on the enemy, though interceptors are better if you can build enough to cover yourself.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

SAM copters are the bee's knees. One of those can destroy waves of penentrators (ok, but they have to watch out for enemy interceptors)

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

How about HSM (Heat Seeking Missle) that would be ok for ground or Air Units but onfortunatly makes no sense when the unit dosent have missles as its weapon system
                          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                          X