Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravtanks

Does gravtanks make rovers obsolete?

Is a gravtank a hovertank or a graveship? Just wondering. If it's a hovertank, yes and no. They are faster, and therefore better than speeders, but they are also very costly. If a gravship, again, yes and no, because gravships are more expensive, but still pretty cheap and go much farther, but unfortunately they get a 50% penalty on ground attacks, where hovertanks get plus 25% in the field.

Comment

gravships have a 50% penalty to ground attacks? are you sure about that one? In any event, they're fun, but come in far too late to be useful, as do hovertanks. It's rare for me to use either one.

Comment

Grav ships only get the penalty if they are interceptors iirc.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

d=me, what have you thought by gravtanks
          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I think Grav ships are fun! If you are a very tech-heavy faction, to ability to have rapid response hard hitting gravships is just to tempting, they can also capture cities, which works great if you dont midn using nerve gas attacks to weaken a city before destroying or taking it all in one turn.
            Proud member of The Human Hive, working for a better future on Chiron, today!

Comment

They are inferior to choppers because they can only attack once per turn.

But I think the OP referred to gravtanks, meaning hovertanks. In which case, once you have the tech for hovertanks, they are better than rovers, yes. How is an extra tile moved each turn NOT good?

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I've never seen any gravships what are they? I personally think that gravtanks make rovers obsolete with it's full scale abilities which means that it has no obivous weaknesses.

Comment

They are essentially Domain 3 units- can move over land and water, but don't have to refuel.
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Okay, maybe I'm stupid, but what's the difference between a bomber and an interceptor in Centauri. Because sometimes my airships get ground attack penalties, but sometimes they don't, and I really want to know why.

Comment

If you have an air platrom with SAM capability it is an intercepter, full against airtargets; 1/2 against ground/naval; fights with weapon rather than armor if attacked while in the air; can intercept from base.

bomber/penetrator etc is air platfrom without SAM: full against ground/naval; if attacked in air defends with armor.
                      Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; April 11, 2004, 16:03.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                        Okay, maybe I'm stupid, but what's the difference between a bomber and an interceptor in Centauri. Because sometimes my airships get ground attack penalties, but sometimes they don't, and I really want to know why.
                        Inteceptor has Air Superiority (called SAM for some reason) which means they can attack other aircraft. They get a penalty attacking ground units.
                        Bombers do not have Air Superiority, and hence can not attack other aircraft. They bomb ground units (and aircraft that have landed inside bases) with full strength.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns (called SAM for some reason)
                          that's because it's the same equiptment that allows ground or sea units to to attack aircraft.

Comment

Okay thanks guys about the bombers and interceptor things. THat is very very helpful. I just started not using just probe teams and decided I would start using air units. Very helpful, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Method

that's because it's the same equiptment that allows ground or sea units to to attack aircraft.
                              It should be called AAM, I mean are the incerceptors on ground when they engage enemy craft?
                              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X