Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In real life, what faction would you be part of? (Includes all 14 factions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In real life, what faction would you be part of? (Includes all 14 factions)

I always thought it would be cool someday to actually be on the planet of Chiron, having 3 suns shining down on you, and lush forests of pink fungus, but lets say we are all common citizens on the Unity, and we have to choose which of the 14 factions to join, which we would have to be part of for the next 500 years.

Don't forget the social engineering the leader would probably do (don't expect Yang doing a democracy, or Miriam doing knowledge), and also don't forget that being in a weaker faction (peacekeepers, no offense) might mean death or a life in prison.
    Gaians
    8.16%
    Hive
    8.16%
    University
    14.29%
    Morgans
    14.29%
    Spartans
    6.12%
    Believers
    2.04%
    Peacekeepers
    18.37%
    Cyborgs
    20.41%
    Pirates
    0.00%
    Drones
    2.04%
    Angels
    6.12%
    Cult
    0.00%
    Caretakers
    0.00%
    Usurpers
    0.00%

Angels all the way

As for myself, I would prefer the Angels. Number one, I'm an anarchist myself, and I love democracy (even though I'm from Russia). I am a big Capitalist, so I'd like the free society, and I prefer to live in secrecy, harassing people with non-violent ways.

Comment

Good poll.

I would probably go with Morgans. I'm training to be an accountant after all.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: In real life, what faction would you be part of? (Includes all 14 factions)

Originally posted by Commy
        Don't forget the social engineering the leader would probably do (don't expect Yang doing a democracy, or Miriam doing knowledge), and also don't forget that being in a weaker faction (peacekeepers, no offense) might mean death or a life in prison.
        The Peacekeepers are not weak.

I would like to be a member of the Peacekeepers since I assume that I would have a similar status in their society as I have in my real society (a post-graduate humanities student). If I was guaranteed to be a member of the elite I might prefer being in the Hive or the Morgans, but I assume that people of my status in those societies would have a really bad kind of life.
        Trithemius
        ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Oh, this poll returns

I'll go for the Spartans. Its important to be well defended on such a dangerous planet, and Power is a nice SE choice to live in (I like parades)

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Re: Angels all the way

Originally posted by Commy
            As for myself, I would prefer the Angels. Number one, I'm an anarchist myself, and I love democracy (even though I'm from Russia). I am a big Capitalist, so I'd like the free society, and I prefer to live in secrecy, harassing people with non-violent ways.
            And you call yourself "Commy"

IRL, I'd be a part of the CyCon.
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
              I'll go for the Spartans. Its important to be well defended on such a dangerous planet, and Power is a nice SE choice to live in (I like parades)
              Nothing to do with working out all day in the nude eh?
              Trithemius

Comment

Not at all.

"Colonel ma'am instructor, can we do some more greek wrestling practice please?"

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Re: Re: Angels all the way

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                  IRL, I'd be a part of the CyCon.
                  Did our shining example in the ACDG convince you?
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                    "Colonel ma'am instructor, can we do some more greek wrestling practice please?"
                    Damn inauthentic Spartans

I wouldn't be a good Spartan, I don't much like P.E. :P
                    Trithemius

Comment

Gaians: As much as I admire their determination not to mess up this planet like we messed Earth up, these people probably wouldn't shower much, and they'd probably be militant vegans.

Hive: Whippings, beatings, nerve-stapling. I could never live with myself giving or receiving the above.

University: Unfettered scientific progress sounds like a dream, but I'm no scientist, nor do I have aspirations of being one. And the scientists would get the lion's share of everything here.

Morganites: I utterly despise the greedy, so I wouldn't enjoy the company of people in this faction. I'd probably end my working life in a boring 9-5 desk job, living in a cubicle not unlike a sardine tin. As if I'm not depressed enough already! Not to mention my disdain for capitalism as it stands (and no, I'm not a commie, I just think people place undue importance on hard currency, and because of that, good, honest people suffer needlessly)

Spartans: I seriously considered this faction once. A focus on developing one's strength and valour is an admirable goal. But there would probably be too many distasteful things going on in there, just like in the namesake Greek citystate of old. And a society where trigger-finger-itchy people wave guns around freely and drive a tank to work isn't one I want to be mixing in with.

Believers: I'm an agnostic semi-Buddhist. I wouldn't fit in. In fact, I'd probably be burned at the stake when they find they can't ram their beliefs down my throat.

Cult: If there is anything I despise more than people ramming their beliefs down your throat, its crazy cults and the like cramming their beliefs into your unwilling mind with thought control. Not to mention the fact that this cult don't exactly have the best interests of humanity at heart.

Consciousness: I don't like the idea of sharing brainspace with a sentient program. I don't even like sharing my private thoughts with meatbags. How do you expect me to act towards a computer program who knows what makes me tick? It would use my irrational fears as a tool of control, and I'd have no choice but to fight it. An unimaginable headache if ever I heard of one.

Drones: I'm all for workers rights. I vote Labour in my country (much to the dismay of my radical conservative grandparents I might add). But I'm probably smarter, and more talented than the common worker. I don't see much room for developing my creativity or my intellect here.

Angels: I tried programming once and it didn't work out. Biggest waste of twelve months in my entire life doing that course. A prerequisite of this faction is probably knowing a programming language.

Aliens: Do I really need to spell it out?

Pirates: I love the sea. I live on the coast. I'm ten minutes from the nearest beach and just across the road from the shores of a lake, with an excellent view of an island. But seafood isn't exactly my favourite form of sustenance, and I figure that food grown on land would be prohibitively expensive amongst the Pirates since they probably raid other factions for such things.

That leaves only the Peacekeepers. They are probably the only faction with the flexibility to allow me to live my life the way I want to. And I don't think they are weak. Its only the AI of this game who can't utilize this factions strengths to full effect. An intelligent, wise, benevolent individual like Pravin Lal will probably manage much better.
                      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

A communist dictatorship like a Hive. A harsh environment like Planet is not the place for a democracy.
                        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I appreciate all your opinions. I wanted to correct myself on something. The peacekeepers are not really weak, it's just that a lot of other factions are much stronger, like the Hive. These war mongering militant superpowers just make the peacekeepers, as well as the gaians and angels, look weak. Just remember, if you join the Peacekeepers, you'll have to endure a 100 year war with Yang, and probably Miriam.

Comment

I'd go with the Cybernetic Consciousness. I don't understand why some people think you'd be forced to share brain-space with a sentient program that would "use my irrational fears as a tool of control, and I'd have no choice but to fight it". I see it as a symbiotic relationship. You'd be one being. Sure, you'd be a little less human and a lot more machine, but I don't see that as a bad thing. If you're not so intelligent, you'll be upgraded with new processors. If you're not so strong, you'll be retro-fitted with Silksteel muscles.
                            You would not have to fight it, you'd work with it. Plus, there is the comfort of never being alone. All the information of a society at your fingertips.
                            I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't mind giving up most emotions for intelligence.
                            It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

Angels for me. They don't neccessarily go around and hack each other or do whatever they want or something like that. They know that their survival depends on them working together as a group. So they're more independent-thinking than most and they probably rely upon the golden rule for their society to function. That's cool with me.
                              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                              X