Most Annoying Faction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Annoying Faction

In a fit of rage I decided to complement the polls on strongest and weakest faction by this one. And this is why:

Once again I have a game with the Pirates! And as always they build lots of ships and bombard my coastline. This is just annoying. Not dangerous, not a cunning plan, doesn't cost me much because I simply develop two tiles away from the coast. It is just extremely annoying. And when I'm prepared to do so, I will again cut through the meager Pirates' defence like through thin air.

Annoying. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Gaians
    6.52%
    University
    0.00%
    Human Hive
    4.35%
    Peacekeepers
    4.35%
    Morganites
    2.17%
    Spartans
    2.17%
    Believers
    26.09%
    Cybernetic Consciousness
    0.00%
    Pirates
    32.61%
    Data Angels
    0.00%
    Free Drones
    2.17%
    Cultists
    6.52%
    Manifold Caretakers
    4.35%
    Manifold Ursurpers
    6.52%
    Banana Sprayers
    2.17%
    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Some things have to be lived with.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Dee because its predetermined that Hive will nearly always start next to her and she constantly declares war no matter what, stupid militant hippies
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I say University for a similar reason. If left unchecked, they graduate from Mosquito to Black Fly status by end game.
        Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

Banana Sprayers
          Mart
          Map creation contest
          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Pirate ICS really annoys me.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'm mostly annoyed by those close enough to my borders to get in my way. If anyone starts on the same landmass as me, it is guaranteed that they won't survive.

But generally, every faction annoys me. They either don't respect my right to the social engineering choices I want to use. They're all just speed humps on my road to conquest or transcendence.
              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Mim. She ALWAYS hates me unless I run Fundy, and I don't remember EVER running Fundy in a game of SMAC.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Pirates- they take the coast, annoy with bombardment and argue with wealth, and still don`t pose a threat. ARGGGGH!
                  SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Assuming we're talking about when the AI plays them, then yes, the Pirates are the hands down winner. The AI is hopeless at developing sea bases, so it invariably plunks down a ton of bases _right_ offshore of your own. This actually annoys me more than the bombardment. It's usually not too hard to steal an offshore boat with a probe foil, which I tend to get pretty early. 5-6 offshore bases cramping my development take a lot more effort, and unless I'm really lucky, I can't just get RID of them.

Comment

I find it annoying having to deal with a bunch of captured sea bases, regardless of whose they are. Oh, how I wish I could just hit that little "B" button and be done with them, but usually the other factions are too terrified of me to repeal the U.N. charter.

Overall, though, Deidre is the most annoying, though. She always seems to be the ringleader of the "anti-unsurpassed faction alliance".
                      Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

[SIZE=1] Overall, though, Deidre is the most annoying, though. She always seems to be the ringleader of the "anti-unsurpassed faction alliance".
                        Based on this, you could add to the SMAC humor threads:

How to make Dee nuke herself?
                        Make her strongest faction.

Btw. in Cologne, there is someone who "honours" buildings or places he thinks to be culturally important by spraying a banana somewhere near the entrance.
                        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Lal for his seeming reluctance, as "peacekeeper" to enter into pacts even when Im running Dem and offering enticements. Miriam a close second.
                          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

The Pirates, man, the friggin' Pirates.

Deidre and Cheese Dong's worrm hordes are enough of a threat to make them interesting. Yang's endless waves of footsoldiers and Santiago's indestructible ones are equally respectable. Booger is pretty scary before you get nerve gas, at which point it wouldn't matter if she had Singularity tech for all the good it would do her.

Domai is pretty annoying in the late game when you pick Thought or Cyber and he spazzes, but by that time he's so backward, who cares?

Now the Pirates are ANNOYING! They bomb your boreholes, shell your sensors, and flatten your forests and foils. Fight back and you get a bunch of worthless, open-ocean tin-can bases for the trouble.

Never will the Pirates mount a successful invasion; never will they march triumphantly into a capital, nor even a port for that matter -- they exist, like the Planet faction, for the sole purpose of breaking things dear to the player.

Comment

Despite his hunky beard and his seriously arousing mis-matched eye colors (parp!), I would have to say that everybody's favorite pirate of men's pants, Captain Svensgaard, comes first in my list of fecal perpendicular perpetrators. That guy makes my crap hang sideways, he's so goddam annoying. He farts higher than his own arse, and also requires considerable de-gimping in most of my games.

The worst thing about him is that you have to construct a navy to go after him. The Hive rarely fields any navy, and would much rather send our deertick former squads out there to raise the landmasses in a Fun and Happy and Entirely NonMilitary Deertick Inspection Campaign to make them more assailable for our Deertick Sprayer Squads (10a-3r-1*2 plus Nerve gas for, you know, killer deerticks and stuff).

HOWEVER, some of my Hiverian technicians have worked out a workable plan to continue the Chinese Communist Party's good works in the old anti-piracy department (begun in the Year of 2001 After Dragon, during which the leadership announced that as part of the entry to the World Trade Organization it would combat piracy everywhere including unspecified deertick holdouts on the islands of Pescadores, Formosa, and oh yes did we mention Taiwan?). After the outbreak of SARS (which some of us will recognize by its Chironian name of Promethean Atypical Acute Respiratory Pneumonoid or PAARP for short (please open the window) they set an excellent example of forward thinking in the pursuit of hygiene by training 500 nuclear tipped warheads on the island in the event of a highly virulent outbreak of deertixamitosis in Taiwanese longgrass. Meanwhile, an assassination attempt on Captain Svensgaard as he campaigned in the canals and waterways of Pirate's Alinestran Cove, ahead of the elections, failed when the Hiverian agent assigned was instructed to "blow his brains out" but ended up shooting him in the buttock instead. Svensgaard later appeared on TV saying "There's nothing wrong with my arse."

The best thing about sending a Deertick Buster in the midst of the Pirate strongholds is that it doesn't actually alter the landmasses because they're usually built at sea. The blast radius can frequently take out multiple bases at once and drastically reduce their ability for retaliation. Few other factions will place their bases in such a nice array to labially accept the phallic thrust and explosion of a buster. (Some environmentalists have expressed doubts as to whether the watery domains host a sufficient level of grassland fauna to allow for a predominance of deerticks to reach a significant threat, but the Hiverian intelligence reports that ANY level of deertick activity is enough to to pose a threat and warrants extreme action for the safety of all involved. Forward diagnosis suggests that purification by fire, usually to several megaKelvins at a radius of not less than 500 km, is the most efficacious way to protect families in the locality.)
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X