Accelerated start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't say I've tried it.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Taken control of an Iraqi regime? I did once... didn't work out so well. I didn't speak the language.
      It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

How randomized is the starting year? Usually (if memory serves me) I started at 2140, 4 bases and a SP. Last night I was testing a bit, and Uni started at 2180.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I prefer to screw up on my own.
          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj
            I prefer to screw up on my own.
            Seconded. I do a damn good job too.
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I like accelerated start. It gives you something to do right away in a MP game rather than 20 or so short-do-nothing moves. You all start off in the same AI created mess so there's not any disadvantage. I'd try an acceletated MP game if anyone is interested. However, players who can't get in a move a day or a move every 2 days need not apply

Comment

Those 20 short-do-nothing moves are some of the most critical in the game. I NEVER want the AI to do them for me.
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

What? How can anyone not enjoy hopelessly botched terraforming, base improvements that you don't even have the tech for, the most critical base typically in drone riot, and generally a bad, hemmed in faction location?

Many players wind up being able to clean the AI's clock but remain intimidated by MP. Think of accelerated start as good training for MP games. You have to learn to play with but a single one of the early, critical SPs whereas in normal SP mode I, for one, am inclined to take practically all of them.

Comment

I like the idea of an accelerated start, but I despise the execution of it.

I have been thinking about alternative multiplayer (and multifaction democracy) game scenarios, and a planned "accelerated start" scenario seems really interesting to me at the moment.

*returns to tinkering with his initial faction relations matix*
                    Trithemius
                    ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Remember, each faction gets one secret project too. That means you missed out on 6 other secret projects. As for me, seeing what kinds of places the computer considers good places for bases, I'd never want that dang computer placing my bases for me. Everyone has their own strategy, the computer only has one. Again, this is why the AI really can't allow you to have an interesting game.

Comment

Working...
                      X