Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerated start?

A question:

how many of you like(d) to start an accelerated game? I.e. you start playing with several bases, an SP finished and around 40 MY done by the game.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Never.

Never, never, never.

The computer has always WRECKED the early game, which is the most crucial phase.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Re: Accelerated start?

Originally posted by GeoModder
      A question:

how many of you like(d) to start an accelerated game? I.e. you start playing with several bases, an SP finished and around 40 MY done by the game.
      I'd rather have my eyes gauged out with a spoon.

C
      Play hangman.

Comment

Can't say as I've ever tried it, but I agree that you'll just wind up with a flubbed opening, 9/10 times.

Comment

Well, something most players agree on then
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
            Can't say as I've ever tried it,
            Me either, and I figure it's one more thing the AI can screw up.
            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

It favors playing a mometum faction and peanlizes a builder faction.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Accelerated start? Pass the puke bucket!
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Come on, someone say they always use it

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Well, it can be considered an extra advantage for the AI factions. You have to clean up the mess from the first 40 years governing of your predecessor (Lal, Miriam, Zak, whoever...)
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                      Come on, someone say they always use it

-Jam
                      Nope and I wouldn't care to play against humans using it but I WILL play against the AI in that format. Its a quicker game and in some ways reminds me of the switching factions challenge as you spend your first little while undoing some of the crap the computer has done on your behalf.

I wouldn't play humans using it as humans are challenge enough. You could likely start with a large advantage or disadvantage and neither makes for a fun or fair game
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'll second Flubber. Every so often I'll do a builder faction like Morgie in an accelerated start.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I see your point, but personally I don't enjoy pain

-Jam

Comment

Accelerated start makes for an interesting game.
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Think of it as handicapping, for those poor, poor AIs. It's like you're given the oppotunity to take control of a new Iraqi regime.
                              Promoter of Public Morale
                              Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X