No announcement yet.

Air Superiority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if you can self destruct a PB. There have been many times I've wanted to detonate a PB just for tactical purposes (destroying a landbridge, eg) but couldn't because there weren't any darn enemy units there.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Tis strange that people don't know some things about the game, despite it having been played to death for several years.

/me plans to test this if my game ever gets that far technologically.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

You can always test it in the scenario editor. I use it a lot to test things out that I don't want to wait till the mid or late game to achieve.

I only ask about the needlejet upgrading issue because I'm not sure if I'm overlooking some option which makes an upgrade possible, but both in single player games and in scenarios I've created, the needlejets seem to refuse to be upgraded to SAMs of the same weapon level.

Comment

Have you created the design for interceptors?
          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Yep, created the design, needlejets & missiles are prototyped. When I couldn't make them, I tried adding armor to the interceptor design in hopes that the game might view those as a 'superior model' and allow an upgrade. No dice.

Edit: Hong Hu, what is your avatar from? Looks familiar...
            Last edited by TheRedmenace; February 18, 2004, 13:21.

Comment

Romance of The Three Kingdoms. She's SunChang, daughter of SunJian and sister of SunQuan, married to LiuBei. She is a true princess. And very brave, and intelligent.
              Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Sorry, TheRedmenace, but you simply can't upgrade air units without SAM to a SAM design, nor the reverse.
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                  I don't know if you can self destruct a PB. There have been many times I've wanted to detonate a PB just for tactical purposes (destroying a landbridge, eg) but couldn't because there weren't any darn enemy units there.
                  There is always the build a locust, move it to the land bridge, release it to the wild and then PB it gambit.

'Course this still carries sanctions, vendettas and planetary reprisals normal to PB'ing.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    That means conventional missles can be pretty damn nasty.
                    True but missiles of any flavor are expensive. My favorite is Drop-best weapon-1-1*best reactor for economics. Missiles obviously offer better range althougha chopper is pretty handy for range as well aslongas once has a decent weapon strength.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Missiles are expensive, yes, but as they're nothing but suicide units ANYWAY, why WOULDN'T you want to use them to take out a particularly well-defended bunker or something?

Especially if you've only got a couple of other military units in the area and aren't willing to sacrifice them just yet?
                      Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

Romance of the Three Kingdoms!

I remember reading that twice in my undergrad studies! But of course I had to read it in translation... my Chinese just isn't good enough to understand the original - yet.

Ah, brings back the memories.

Sadly, I can't make that Three Kingdoms Civ2 scenario work on my version. I've got ToT.

T^T
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Starfarer
                          Missiles are expensive, yes, but as they're nothing but suicide units ANYWAY, why WOULDN'T you want to use them to take out a particularly well-defended bunker or something?

Especially if you've only got a couple of other military units in the area and aren't willing to sacrifice them just yet?
                          You may. It's just if you are looking for 'bang for the buck' pardonthe pun, there are more cost effective alternatives (although early on when weapon strength is low in comparison to the 16 of conventional missiles less so). Later on when orbital insertionis available the drop troops offer unlimitted range at littel cost for detonation purposes.

Because of the prohibitive cost of missiles I rarely if ever build them regardless of potential for detonation. (although I do see the application at times)

Comment

There is a good way to test some stuff in the game - just turn on the scenario editor and create the setup for testing. I check many things this way if i need to
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest
                            WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Holy crap, THATS where your avatar comes from. I knew it looked familiar.

I'm always partial to Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Liu Bei.....what was that called again, the "cherry tree oath" or something.
                              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                              *****Citizen of the Hive****
                              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

What, you like the bad guys?
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X