Air Superiority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Superiority

I understand that units without air superiority cannot attack needlejets. Does this mean if I have a needlejet in a base then nobody can attack it unless they have airsuperiority? Or does it only work in open field? What about choppers?
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

If I'm right, any units can attack an aircraft that's parked at a base or perhaps even at a airbase (I haven't done this so) regardless whether if they have the air superiority element added or not.

However if the aircraft is in the air, it's a different story. Only air units with air superiority and ground units with SAMs can attack.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

AIrcraft in base can be attacked by pertty much any unit.

Needlejets in flight generally can only be attacked by air superiority enabled units (SAM) capable. *

Choppers can be attacked in the open because they land at the end of each turn so no need for SAM capable units to attack choppers.

* All in the open units can be attacked via self destruct. An airborn needlejet can still be eliminated by self destructing non SAM units.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
        * All in the open units can be attacked via self destruct. An airborn needlejet can still be eliminated by self destructing non SAM units.
        Sort like that captured Terran unit then infected by Zergs... Anyway is this a bug or a twinkish loop in rules? Or it was intended by the designers that we can blow up units to kill other units?
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

It was designed although one would question whether designer knew how much this exploit can be used.

It can be devestatingly effective.

Imagine if you will a stack of 40 or so air units in a square.

A single detonated unit can eliminate all 40.

Search the archives or past thread on self destructing units and see how overpowering they can be.

Imagine worm rape wherein you are facing innumerbale stacks of natives. A single detonation can wipe them out.

We discussed it here at 'Poly and over at CGN (www.civgaming.net)

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I love eliminating a worm boil with 20 or so demon's in them, just to have my 1-1-1 Clean Police destroy them all and get 1000 creds.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

You can kill enemy units by blowing yours up?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

My GOD! The power! I wish I'd heard of this sooner. do detonations hurt your own units? Sure, I've accidentally destroyed my own units, but nothing's ever happened.
                It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

Detonation hurts all units in all adjacent non base squares including your own.

A fission unit has 10 hit points
                  fusion 20 hit point
                  quantum 30 hit points
                  Singularity 40 hit points

Roughly speaking the damage caused by an exploding unit is

Hps damage = Weapon strength * reactor Strength/2

Where reactor strength is
                  fission = 1
                  fusion = 2
                  quantum = 3
                  singularity =4

The maximum amount of damage is no more than 10 hps for a fission reactored unit, 20 for a fusion etc.

Native life is considered fission reactors.

So as an example, 10 chaos fission choppers are attacking a base. A single fusion laser fusion reactor 10-1-1*2 is exploded adjacent to them. All 10 chaos fission choppers are dealt 10 hit points and destroyed.

Comment

That means conventional missles can be pretty damn nasty.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

No, missiles work differently from self-destruction. IIRC. It goes into a square before blowing up.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think he means self-destructing the missile insteadof just firing it off.

which begs the question... CAn you do this? Anyone ever tried? And my god, if you could manage this with a Planet Buster...

Wow. No atrocity, everthing goes Boom anyway.
                        Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

You don't want to self-destruct a planet buster, it's got a huge warhead strength.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You do if it is in enemy territory.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

While we're on the topic: I had just gotten air power and built some needlejets, all penetrators. I decided I needed some interceptors. No problem, just CTRL-U. Wait...can't upgrade? Apparently it wouldn't allow me to upgrade to an interceptor because it wan't a 'superior unit). I only had missiles at the time and that was what all my penetrators were using.

So is this normal? I tried adding armor to 'em, or ANYTHING to get the darn planes to switch over to inties. No dice, apparently. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Comment

Working...
                              X