More on supply crawlers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Server of Doom seems to be down right now.

quote:

Might be a good place to start from if I do decide to once again expand the guide....

Tell me when to upgrade to broadband

Comment

Gregurabi:

It's been updated since you looked. (I put a different version on the site - results in a more compact .doc)

Googlie

[This message has been edited by Googlie (edited January 12, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Helium Pond on 01-12-2001 01:06 AM
        Blake: I wonder if, by chance, the solar collecter had a forest underneath it? I built a huge energy farm once, and forest spread underneath it, and I realized that the forests were knocking out the effectiveness of my mirrors. You can't build mirrors on top of forest, but unless you put a farm under the mirror, forest can spread under mirrors, effectively "killing" them. Just wondering if that could have been a factor.

I've noticed forests spread under mirrors, I know it reduces the tile to a forest output, but I think it still has the mirror effect. It also seems that you can built bases on mirros and they still act as mirrors. In my game the park was freshly built and there was no forest nearby. I should probably test the territory thing, but I've also found with mirrors and solar panels it sometimes gives you the wrong values for the food/min/energy box which comes up, making tests difficult. In my game when I built a city on my energy park my bases energy output shot up about 50%.

Comment

DogberryMan:

As the name implies, the OCC is to transcend (at transcend level) by building only ever one City - ben done several times, so the challenge became ever more limiting - prototypes only, then only the oroginal scout, then zero facilities, etc.

All in the name of making the game more challenging for the elite players.

the 2CC is, as said, the sdame concept but with 2 bases.

There are many such challenges in the old threads such as the lumberjack challenge (all you can do is build and then cut forests for the 5 mins credit) and the probe challenge (must set your research at 9999 years and steal every tech - no trading allowed either)

They tend to be a lot of fun and certainly make you hone skills that otherwise might be underutilized.

IIRC Vel finished the OCC as the Gaians with one lone mindworm garrison and something like 55 crawlers bringing in the energy needed to purchase transcendence. Easiest factions seem to be gaians, pirates, drones, with miriam being by far the hardest.

Comment

Blake,

I think the map in the base screen can only show 8 values of a particular resource, with the highest one being 8+. Thus you have to resort to manually removing the worker or crawler from the square and noting the difference to obtain the production value of those very high production squares.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

quote:

Blake,

I think the map in the base screen can only show 8 values of a particular resource, with the highest one being 8+. Thus you have to resort to manually removing the worker or crawler from the square and noting the difference to obtain the production value of those very high production squares.

That is true, however the situation I was dealing with my solar park was the solar panels producing 2 naturally (low terrain + uranium flats) and then in theory another +4 from the surronding mirrors, for a expected total of +6, I only got 2 energy, until I built a city in the middle of the park.

Anyway I thought I had better test this, so I made a scenerio with a large flat energy park, half was in my territory and half in neutral territory. The result was that any mirror in your territory increases the output of an adjacant solar panel which is being worked, regardless if the solar panel is in your territory or not. Then the drones were nice enough to build a base next to my park so I tested enemy territory too, mirrors don't work in enemy territory either. I tested this by moving the crawler back and forth over the border, and crawling energy. In entirely neutral/enemy territory the value was 2 energy, in my territory 6 energy. To be sure I also set my SE to +4 effic and cranked energy to 100% and genned a turn to make sure that amount of energy was correctly credited, it was.

So any echlon mirror built in neutral/another players territory does NOT help your solar panels, atleast in SMAX v2. I'm also guessing this is why I thought that sometimes the energy given at the crawler resource select dialoug was inaccurate, because both times I recall it given "wrong" values my park was partly in neutral or pactmate territory.

Comment

Yeah, this is a known "feature" of SMAC. You'll notice that the same behavior also applies to sensors.

It would be nice if such terraforming enhancements worked even if in neutral territory, maybe with an "owner" flag (originally set to the builder, then changed by "capturing" the enhancement by moving a unit on top of it.

Aredhran

Comment

Working...
                X