Alternate interface graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate interface graphics

Hi, I'm a longtime Alpha Centauri player (solitaire only) and this is my first post to this forum. I never had Alien Crossfire (didn't really like the premise) but a couple months ago I came across some pics which seemed to show a _very_ different interface from what I'm used to, e.g. in the Planetary Council meeting and the Vehicle Design shop. The following is a link to a current EBay auction (disclaimer: I'm not involved in the auction in any way) with the two pictures I am talking about:

So I bought the EA Laptop Collection (which included Alpha Centauri _and_ the "Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack", but did not come with any kind of Alien Crossfire documentation, not even a .PDF *fume*) and everything looks the same.

Are the two pictures in the auction I linked to screenshots from the Mac version? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Teukros

That's certainly not any in-game graphic I've ever seen.

I can see the airframe was mislabeled "speeder".

Maybe the auctioneer grabbed some old in-development photos off the web?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Ahhhhh. I haven`t seen anything like that in a long time.
      These are indeed old screenshots from the early development (I can post a few if someone is interested). Those auctioneers are really reckless - that interface was abandoned obviously and they are trying to sell stuff with false informations- BUT it can be seen in the animation for the Command Nexus (if you watch it carefully).
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Fascinating! And thanks for the prompt replies!

Nuts. I was looking forward to the "new" interface :-|

Comment

Post pics please!

Comment

I`ll post in about 24 hours (know on which CD but not where that CD is now).
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

As I promised to Mad Monk here they are:
              Attached Files

Comment

Another
                Attached Files

Comment

Even more
                  Attached Files

Comment

Final one
                    Attached Files

Comment

You might notice that initial listing of weapons/modules is pretty much different than the one we all know. Also we can see that weapons have forgotten energy/projectile ability designated.
                      I wonder whose HQ looks like that [cough Morgan cough]
                      No idea what the artworks were supposed to be. Probably expelled ideas.

Comment

IIRC there first were gonna be different interfaces for each faction. A pity they abandoned the idea.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

*drools over datalinks pic*
                          #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                          #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Thanks!

The datalinks pic reminds me a lot of the MoO2 data interface -- so much green.

From the drawing, I guess they were going to have more "settler"-like formers initially?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don`t have screenshot whic actual game graphics in the begining - not only I cannot tell what is what, but all graphics is weird - inteface looks old with circular map shower in the center with some pretty hmm SQUARE teritory showing - solar plants look strange, bases look generic strange and there is something strange which looks like infantry with a shovel - but I cannot remember it exactly. Perhaps formers should have looked like colonists with shovel as Mad Monk assumed?

Comment

Working...
                              X