No announcement yet.

Second colony pod ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I prefer to just accept whatever the dice rolls. But hey, everybody to their own.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
      i like to play with "flex starting location" off (the default). i like the added challenge i get with a not-so-good starting position. plus, it makes some sense to me: when the faction lands on that weird and dangerous landscape, their first priority have to be security and so they decide to establish a settlement as soon as they can. exploring is too risky for them.
      Originally posted by DataAeolus
      Yeah I prefer to just accept whatever the dice rolls.
      I totally agree. Makes no sense that group of space colonists can land on planet and then start a conversation like: "Hey I don`t want live there - I see fungal tower there. " or "If we spend two years moving as nomads with scarce supplies through completely alien and probably hostile world, we will able to found a base near monolith."
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

At least in AC if your base isn't next to the sea, you can bring the sea to it! In Civ, you're just screwed.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I started one of my famed small map games (conquer victory in 2102 W00T I ROCK)
          I started Inland as Zak. Deirdre also started inland, 2 squares away from my base.
          "Hello Zak."
          "Sup Deedee."
          "I was wondering if you'd like a treaty of friendship?"
          "No, just let me move into that base you left undefended."
          "Okay. Thanks Zak."

Comment

Nice one...
            (+1)

Comment

Cool...

Spartak! When did you return from your "Christmas vacation"?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Just landed one three away from the nearest shore.

Comment

I choose flexible starting locations and the map outline on simply because they came in from orbit. You have to push really hard to justify them not at least having a vague idea where they were landing.
                  The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                  And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                  Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                  Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I leave the map outline off, because when I first tried it (oh so long ago), it was hard to tell at a glance where I had and had not been.

Now, I set preferences to show the grid in the ocean, which also shows the grid in unexplored territory, zoom all the way out, and pick out all the nifty looking contours.

Comment

wanted to mention that i started one tile away from the water in a one-city challenge game the other day. d'oh!
                      drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

I know this is off the thread, hope it's ok

One-city challenge, how does that work? Is it multi-player thing or solo? I'd imagine it means that the player is to build only one city. But what about conquests - can he keep those or does he have to raze those bases?
                        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

You have to obliterate the conquered bases.
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

If I'm correct, according to Prima's extremely crappy but usually-correct-on-technical-points-not-having-to-do-with-strategy Official Strategy Guide, whether or not you start with an extra colony pod has to do with how good the game judges your starting location to be. The way the game picks your starting location is by selecting a random square and calculating a number based on how many resources and enemies are near. The more squares it rejects the less picky it gets (i.e. the lower the number can be in order for it to give you the starting location.) If the calculated number is sufficiently low it will give you a free colony pod. The higher the difficulty level you play on the lower the number requirement is, and the faster it goes down. The requirement for getting a colony pod does not, however. Therefore you will almost never get a colony pod at citizen level, where your starting location will usually be good (high number of resource bonuses and distant from rival factions), you will get a colony pod about half the time on librarian level, where your starting location will be so-so, and you will almost always get a colony pod on transcend level where your starting location will usually be crappy. I believe that is how it works, anyway.
                            Who exactly lives in the United Nations? If you are a hobo and you sleep in front of the U.N. building, does that count?

Comment

Working...
                            X