Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ogre Mk2 from a pod - how unusual is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ogre Mk2 from a pod - how unusual is it?

After reading these forums for almost a year, I decided on the plunge - playing Miriam on Transcend SMAX, with Yang, Santiago, University, Gaians, and both Aliens. Tough game.

Well, I accidently hit a number key when doing keyboard entries, got a pissed diplomatic argument which I had been studiously avoiding (I KNEW they were seething). So I restarted. When I do that I always make sure that any pods I popped the first time come up with the same result. That way the turn isn't "changed" by me restarting, and stumbling fingers don't change the game .

Well, I had this ocean pod I had to get kelp out of. I really didn't want to, it was going to help Yang. So here I go, repeating popping the pod till I get the **** kelp. Suddenly I get an Ogre Mk2. I never have before, and I've been playing since SMAC came out! I wish I could have kept that baby, I could have really used it.

I can post both the original turn start and getting the Ogre Mk2, I saved them both. Maybe I'll get a Mk3, has anybody ever popped one?

By the way, for the first time in solo play it looks like I am going to have some serious mid-game combat. I've never had to put interceptors on patrol before. Any threads on the commands that work for interceptors so you can run Combat Air Patrol? I want to try this on a carrier, too (couldn't male it work after posting on a previous thread). Aren't there some crashes you can get from "Alert" or whatever orders for interceptors?
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

It's rare but yes i've seen them. The most amazing thing that happened to me was when i was playing on huge map and i somehow managed to get 6 MK1 ogres !! i found 4 and twice when i was pod popping with the ogres they got cloned great fun when i found Aki and beat up all her recon rovers and synths
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

shawnmmcc: I posted a similar question about Battle Ogres here (and here). Only once have I seen the Mk2.

Regarding automatic air defense: This thread maybe.

Interceptor bug: Try here. In that thread you'll also find a link to the Bug List. I know this is not much but maybe you can find a little information. Luckily, I've never had the game crash due to intercepters or any other air defense.

Comment

Well, this Mark 2 came available in 2198. I think that the highest tech at the time was a level 4, but there was alot of it - Yang was working on Airpower. I'm just barely ahead, and taking on the aliens is going to be nightmarish, at least with the Caretakers. I don't even know where the Usurpers are! Only Diedre seems to be talking to him (of the human factions).

Diedre and I are sharing the east landmass on the big standard map (I kept restarting till I got that SW corner of the inland sea starting spot, it's the worst one and toughest to handle unless you're the Pirates). We have the typical love/hate relationship Diedre goes for - treaty/vendetta/treaty. I'm guessing Marr is on the Northern island, because Zach (my always seething packmate! Except he still won't share tech, bastard) is getting wiped by H'minee on the center continent, and Yang has colonized from the NW to the East shore of the West continent, and is in vendetta status with Santiago, who has the jungles - I traded her Resonance lasers for Cruisers after stealing them from H'minee .

If any wants, I'll post some saves. I now see why the experienced gamers sometimes play Miriam. It puts a whole new challenge to single player. I need to do some multi-player for the real challenge, but I'm waiting until my little girl gets a little older.

As in interesting aside, did you know that the Security Nexus screen (F7) does not appear to keep track of probe teams compromised on missions? I'd never noticed, but I've been doing LOTS of probe work and more losses before 2200 than I typically take in two-three games!
        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
          As in interesting aside, did you know that the Security Nexus screen (F7) does not appear to keep track of probe teams compromised on missions? I'd never noticed, but I've been doing LOTS of probe work and more losses before 2200 than I typically take in two-three games!
          "If you are captured, we will deny any knowledge of your operations."

Comment

I believe you or an AI needs to have researched Synth Foss Fuels to get the MkII Ogres. I'm not sure about the MkIII Ogres.

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Jamski - Yang already had that, so you may be correct. I'll try going through some earlier saves, find the turn before Yang started on Synth Foss Fuels, and try repetitive pod popping. I'll wait till I see what kind of Ogre I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                shawnmmcc: I posted a similar question about Battle Ogres here (and here). Only once have I seen the Mk2.
                The 2nd of those posts relates to Mk3 ogres - I seem to be the only person to have ever got a Mk3 ogre!!

Although Mk1 ogres seem to occur more often than Mk2, I think this is due to there being less pods to pop later on in the game when your tech is higher.

I suspec that the game gives you a fixed chance to get an ogre from a pod, and your tech. level determines which ogre version you get.

Perhaps the moral is NOT to pop any pods until sentient resonance, or later!!
                Last edited by fluffy; December 17, 2003, 11:59.

Comment

Fluffy, did you save the game where you got the Ogre Mk III. What were the highest techs researched at the time?

Comment

Someone with too much time should find the required tech for Ogre MkIII...

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Working...
                    X