No announcement yet.

Vicyory-no vendettas, no battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Neptunus I'd like to tell you I have some great strategy to keep the peace, however I think alot of luck was involved.
    First my landing site was on a fair size continent on the lower portion of a huge map with no other factions on it. These are the things I did do during the game.

1)attempted to get treaties with everyone early in the game. No pacts though to keep away from the loyalty you are expected to show in conflicts between other factions.
    2)trade or even give away tech as much as possible. For some reason others will like you more.
    3)ignore incursions in your territory or stealing of your tech, not a big deal your going to win anyway
    4)ignore transmisions whenever other factions seem at all hostile
    5)Build 3 or 4 PB's as soon as you have the tech and place them in different non crucial bases in striking distance of all the factions. By non crucial I mean no secret projects in them, but with aerospace and several AAA probability sentenals with quantum or singularity reactor if possible.
    6)locusts and skybases work great to keep enemy infantry out of your territory because of zones of control.

Overall it takes alot of luck because usually someone sooner or later will pronounce vendetta even if you ignore
    transmissions. If you are perceived as strong, factions will be less willing to pick a fight. Be generous though with your tech to keep them happy, plus it is less time that they waste researching a tech you already have. Then they can research something you can trade for.

Comment

Way to go Stuntman!

I have always believed that this type of victory was possible but I've never seen it. My best attempt (on standard-sized map) was 180+ years playing as PK. I actually lost my lead running default SE choices and had a vendetta on my hands soon after moving out of default choices.

If my experience means anything, the four most important factors in your victory were: SE choices, incredible discipline in not striking out against obnoxious "friends" or pactmates, map size(the bigger the better) and random luck.

Don't think that I in any way am trying to take anything away from your achievement by including luck as a factor; it is just that there is a huge variability in how the AI will treat you, part of which is random.

Now let's see you do it on standard-sized maps.

Comment

Definitely concur with your observations about luck and map size being a big part of it. Luck prolly the most important as I've mentioned several times in this thread. If you try and do it dont overlook the generousity idea, it seems to help. Keeping SE on original settings can help avoid the auto aversion vendettas. Also if you can throw up a dozen orbital defense pods, that is sign of power, and works to deter aggression.

Will try the standard map when I get time and let you know how it goes. Just got into the MP game, and with real life obligations haven't started a SP for awhile. It is so annoying when real life interferes with my smac world......lol.

Later

Comment

I remember my very first game of SMAC. . .
          It was on the demo, and I was playing as the peacekeepers. I didn't even know there were SE choices, so I left those alone, and I proceeded to make pacts with just about everyone. When my 'coalition' proceeded to eliminate the only uppity race that wouldn't play nice, the Spartans, I won via diplomatic victory, within the first 100 turns.

Needless to say, there was very little fighting in that game. . .
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Thanks a lot Stuntman19...

Comment

Working...
            X