Fungus vs Forests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fungus vs Forests

In the late game, various techs jack up the resources yield of native fungus to amazing levels. I was wondering about this because I like to plant lots of forests and harvest them with Tree Fams and Hybrid Forests to get to 3-2-3, plus economy, ecology, and psyche bonus.

However, I have been wondering whether or not it is worth it to go pink instead nearer the endgame. Fungus is around 4-4-5 (I think) if you have all the booster techs.

What do other people do? Do Tree Farms and Hybrid Forests boost econ/eco/psyche stats even for non-forest squares? Does anybody favor self-inflicted Fungal Missile hits around bases that already have the Farms/Forests combo?
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

I only favour fungus if..... I'm not running FM, and I've built the Xenoempathy Dome (mmm - its like free roads on every square)

So basically if I'm playing Fungus Boy or Deedee (or sometimes Yang)

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

A fungal approach isn't worth it IMHO, as when you research the techs boosting the fungal production, you already are very close to transcendence victory. And I think a fungal missile costs more than planting fungus yourself with formers .

Do Tree Farms and Hybrid Forests boost econ/eco/psyche stats even for non-forest squares?
      Yes they do. A tree farm gives a +50% increase of your total economy and psych production, halves the eco-damage caused by terraforming, and gives you a extra free mineral.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I agree with Maniac. I find that a forest is useful from the very beginning, grows easily and becomes more productive through building facilities with other uses.

Fungus is painful early and by the time it could be the most productive square going, the game is already won or lost. Those late SPs are good for novelty value and nothing else IMHO.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I suppose in a "clash of the builders" MP game it could be useful t the end to try and get to trancend one turn faster (It could be crucial)

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I have nothing to add here, except that in order to make King I'm going to need a lot more posts.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I tend to not use either for purposes other than all the bonuses. I don't use fungus because even though I know that they give good stuff near the end of the game, I just don't like it.

Neither do I use forests for resources because I tend to use them to counteract eco-damage that I've caused.

When i make an improvement, Farm/Mine/Borehole/whatever, it usually stays there until the end of the game or is destroyed by fungus/mindworms/enemy troops.

...Besides, I like the fact that a properly placed mine can give 7+ mineral resources.
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Forests and Boreholes for me. Forests are pretty, and boreholes make lots of energy. Mmm, Free Market.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                  I have nothing to add here, except that in order to make King I'm going to need a lot more posts.
                  Ahh the power of Spam my friend. You too can be a Viking.

Seriously I'm surprised there was no obligatory Condensor/farm/soil enricher reference made as we fully understand that is the most powerful late game square.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I tend to forest right over any square that can be forested unless it has a good (and I mean 4 or more) resource special on it. For flat terrain with mineral bonuses, I always plant a forest there. That adds a little mineral to it whilst also letting you have the nutrient and energy bonuses commensurate with your TF/HF combinations. I usually mine and road rocky squares for crawler purposes, and sometimes if I find lots of ocean shelf that I can't be bothered to found sea bases on, I'll trawler those for nutrients to boost my cities.

I've found forests to be the single most consistently important terraform of choice. It practically spreads itself (...)
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

It's quite weird how planet decides to sometimes remove a farm or forest due to eco-damage and replace it some fungus which by that stage usually gives you more minerals and thus more eco-damage
                      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Ahh the power of Spam my friend. You too can be a Viking.

Seriously I'm surprised there was no obligatory Condensor/farm/soil enricher reference made as we fully understand that is the most powerful late game square.
                        I agree of course, but I'm worried that I'll get a reputation for being a "one trick pony". Besides, the comparison was for fungus vs forest. I always use forest early, sometimes I use it longer, but usually I pave over it with advanced terraforming in the mid game. Fungus just isn't any good by the time it's any good.
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I use fungus ONLY when I play Gaians. They get 2 food from it right from the start, which means it can be used for pop-booming without any terraforming done. This can be rather powerfull ally when you do a crazy ICS thin expansion (don't waste time on formers, just build colony pods and children's creche for pop-boom). All other factions need some serious terraforming and/or infrastructure to do a pop-boom upto 7-9.
                          ::Zsozso::

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                            Sikander, did you get busted or something and lose all your posts? I can't believe that you would otherwise be in this position as I feel like I've read a King's-Worth of your posts already. (If you really are looking for the old +1's this will give you and excuse to get another.)

Comment

I use fungus ONLY when I play Gaians. They get 2 food from it right from the start, which means it can be used for pop-booming without any terraforming done.
                              I agree since I play often as the gaians, as well.

Fungus may not be the best in terms of FOP, but I like it's overall "utility", especially with Xeno and Pholus. It's good as a strategic barrier and for concealment.
                              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X